No announcement yet.

Corrosion Controversy w Yamaha F225's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrosion Controversy w Yamaha F225's?

Hi Ken,

Per THT, there seems to be a good amount of corrosion going on in older F225's (pre-2004) where the cooling passages are rotting out from salt water exposure. Apparently, Yamaha has suppressed news on their warranty rejections for corrosion issues yet has changed how they paint or coat the internal cooling passages of the newer motors (2005 and up).

While I do not believe everything I read on THT, I do want to flush my twin F225's (model year 2004) as best I can. So on this subject, am I correct that the very best way to flush my F225 used in the salt is to:
    1. Attach muffs to lower unit (starboard side inlet) with Salt Away, AND
    2. Attach a 2nd hose to the flush connector at the cowling (for power head)
    3. Tilt engine up 25% (to get pee stream) and
    4. Run engine for < 5 minutes to fully flush but avoid overheat

To date, I only did steps #2 and 3 above but I now am thinking I should do step #1 to flush the cooling passages to keep them salt free.

I'm thinking the above should be my new routine for flushing. Yes? Or is this overkill? Thanks, Jack
    Grady-White 330 Express

F225 Flushing process?

Did you ever get a response to your question from tech support? What is the proper procedure for flushing after salt water use?
    2005 Robalo R220 w/ Yamaha F225
    San Francisco, CA

Comment

Remember a post a while ago about this. The factory flushing attachment does not circulate water in all the water passages that's why you need the ear muffs..I think steps 1 & 2 should be fine. Why raise the motor? It should get tell-tale stream in vertical angle. It does on the boat.
      1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
      1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

more internal corrosion-- F250s

my 2005 (stamped 12/04) F250s had less than 500 hr when they began leaking oil. i am no expert when it comes to motors, but i have learned alot recently.
        my motors are presently apart at dealer and show "the usual" corrosion in the DRY exhaust. (i flushed routinely, but don't believe it matters if it's in the dry area. it is important to understand this corrosion does NOT occur in the area you are flushing) when dealer calls yam, they say yam has no explanation for why it occurs. apparently it is from salt water vapor??
        yam CS says replacement parts (at least part numbers)are the same (will not admit to new coating, etc-- b/c of liability?) but then you are supposed to spend $8000 per motor to replace with the same "defective" material
        they will not assist if no extended warranty but will not guarantee coverage if you have it (though it seems they usually do if u have extend warr-- per dealer and THT). is anyone ready to begin pooling data to do something about this? Contact me if so.
        Last edited by admin; 11-24-2010, 03:35 PM. Reason: It is not safe to post your phone number and email in the forum. Users can PM you or contact you on the board instead.

Comment

No - After my post above, I never received a response. This seems to confirm Yamaha's knowledge of this unfortunate issue in first generation Yamaha engines (Two Star emission certified). To dissolve salt, I flush with Dawn soap (cheaper than Salt Away) and then fresh water every time while the engine is hot upon return to the dock. But, perhaps it doesn't matter due to "dry exhaust" corrosion. Regardless, if I experience this corrosion problem and get abandoned by Yamaha like others have - I promise to buy Honda or Suzuki 225's next.
          Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

f225, my bad!

Wish I had read this last week......just bought an 02 f225, no mention of this corrision issue...it this problem on all earler models???

Comment

No but the corrosion problems seem isolated to first generation V6's (Two star emmission certified). The three star V6's had an additive paint or coating which solved the problem from what little I know. Not all Two Star V6's have this problem - but time will tell as they age.
              Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

f225 rusting away

Generally speaking, does anyone know the number of hours when the problems start and are the problems usually around overheating issues...is there any evidence around the water pump housing, jacket and or what would you look for when you changed the water pump....just wondering what to look for when I put the water pump kit in.... and I guess there is no need to contact Yamaha......thanks for any and all response and thanks for this forum...

Comment

I think you're right about no need to contact Yamaha as they have abandoned us on this important matter. It will cost them big time in lost market share.

No trends that I'm aware of - only that it occurs mostly (but not only) in the first generation V6's (2 star emission certified). Flushing with FW after every use is important but I also read this has nothing to do with the problem since the corrosion comes from the hot exhaust air side of the manifold. Cross your fingers like the rest of us...
                  Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

I have a pair of 2004 (3 Star) 225's that have this problem. Flushing won't help and neither will Yamaha!!! After only 670 hours. I had to change the entire mid-section before I even changed spark plugs. Dealer serviced since new and always have used ring free. I have owned 6 Yams in the past but will not own another one. Yamaha has thrown their loyal customers under the bus and basically told me that they were selling so many motors that they didn't care.

Comment

I just had to replace a 2003 F200, with 900 hours, due to corrosion between the heads and the the head gasket. Looked like little worms had eaten pathways from the cooling side into the combustion chamber on all cylinders. Cost of repair was more than 50% the total cost of a new engine so I opted for the new engine. Yamaha claimed no responsibility, all my fault because I didn't flush the engine each time I used it, even though I live in fresh to brackish water! Yamaha denied any problems on their part. I'm not happy but you can neither row nor sail a Parker 2120 so I had to buy the engine. Yamaha reputation has lost it's luster with me!!
                      Jon

Comment

To anyone reading this who is employed by Yamaha - When will you take a position on this?

Doing nothing is a very WRONG thing to do as you will lose more and more market share. Yamaha V6 Owners who get abandoned by you will, for sure, buy Honda or Suzuki or Evinrude. Anyone out there?
                        Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

...they know about it and will fix the problem....

Just how do you suppose that they can fix the problem when so many of us having arlready replaced/repaired the corroded engines? Me? I'd like a check for the ~$17K I just spent for the replacement engine. Somehow I doubt that I will ever see that check, or even a portion of it!!

John

Comment

Honestly, I'd be happy with a 50% expense reimbursement on costs to repair a corroded engine. Right now, we're getting ZERO. And it is THIS type of treatment that will cost Yamaha BIG is lost Market Share.
                            Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

Updates

Just-in-time, thanks for cutting and pasting the response. Though, still pretty vague and no real solution in sight.

For the thousands of us out there with corrosion cropping up in these engines what can we do? Obviously thorough and regular flushing out of water cooling passages does nothing for this issue - because I'm sure most of us do this religiously already.

Are there any suggestions from Yamaha about how to handle this "dry exhaust corrosion," other than an expensive exhaust passage replacement? It may sound silly but would flushing out the exhaust with fresh water by hose make any difference?

Surfpath

Comment

Working...
                              X