How to bleed trim/tilt fluid?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to bleed trim/tilt fluid?????

I thought I would just start another thread here instead. i now have added fluid to my tilt/trim, but I need to bleed the system. Right now it will only go maybe halfway up under power. I used an overhead hoist to pick up the engine, then I added the fluid, put the cap back on, set it down, ran the trim button, picked it back up wtih the hoist, added more fluid, ect. i did this about 5 times. Now when I take the fill bolt out, some bubbly fluid comes out, so i figure I need to bleed the system of air and add more fluid since the motor only goes halfway up. Anyone have a schematic showing what lines to bleed and procedure for it? I do not have a manuel for this engine.
    Thanks
    Keegan

Loosen the manual release screw and allow motor to go down, pick motor back on by hand recheck fluid level and repeat process until no more air in system. Using power trim switch will only turn oil into foam and won't be able to get air out of system.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Ok, that sounds about right.
      Where is the manual release screw? Is it on the starboard side of the engine, just outside the fill port?
      Thanks a bunch!
      Keegan
      Last edited by keegan99usa; 08-03-2009, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Most models it's on starboard side of transom bracket, a small hole with picture of motor tilted up above hole.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

OK, I know it's been a while since I requested this, but a new baby and old man winter and now I have a little time to address the issue before getting on the water.

I lift the engine (1986 200HP Yamaha) with the overhead hoist, open the fill port on top of the reservoir, then open(clock-wise) the manual release screw, let the engine down, and back up. A lot of fluid wants to come out the fill hole. If I put the plug back in when I let it down and pick back up, then When I do open it, there is air pressure blowing air/fluid back out at the top of the stroke also.

At what point do I close the manual release screw? When do I put the plug back in? Do I tighten it right away? I can not get at the plug when the engine is down, so?? I guess I'm hoping there is a trick I am not seeing, because there is a lot of air in the system that does not seem to want to some out. Everything Iput in lately comes back out. The only way I see to even add the fluid is with an oilcan pump spout.
          HELP? lol
          THanks
          Keegan

Comment

Only remove oil level plug when it is in up position and if find lots of air let it stay in up position for a little while for air to come to surface then refill with fluid and reinstall plug and let motor down and back up and repaet process about 3 or 4 times or until all air is out.
            Then close manual release valve and operate with trim switch.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
              Only remove oil level plug when it is in up position and if find lots of air let it stay in up position for a little while for air to come to surface then refill with fluid and reinstall plug and let motor down and back up and repaet process about 3 or 4 times or until all air is out.
              Then close manual release valve and operate with trim switch.
              I'll try it again then. I lifted the engine with the hoist before I opened the fill port. When I did open it, it shot air and fluid out. I did not have the manuel release screw open. I will open that first, but it sure seems like I've done it as you describe and it hasnt worked.
              Thanks
              Keegan

Comment

so what happened?

mine is doing the same thing! was great till it sat. now i move it up and down 5 times and still wont lift the engine.

Comment

mine is doing the same thing! was great till it sat. now i move it up and down 5 times and still wont lift the engine.
                  question: When one lifts the engine up by hand then props a board under it to hold it while i open the manual relief valve. the trim rods are still down! do i then activate the power to raise them? then go abouts dropping the engine with its own weight then at the bottom close relief screw and lift up again, then hit ****on and raise the 2 tilt rods again and repeat?

The word b.u.t.t.o.n. is a bad word?.lol

Comment

open the relief valve first ,then lift.
                    If you lost that much fluid while sitting then I would fix what is leaking first, and then fill with fluid.
                    You know you are posting on a old thread don't you?
                    It is best to start a new one with all your info and problems.
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 12-09-2010, 08:09 PM.

Comment

yes

It worked!! i left the manual screw open this time and swung it up and down like 5 times ,let the air out . had a little air squealing at bottom when operated the lift . but then cleared up! perfect thanks! I completely disassembled my 1994 90 yam ,sandblasted primed ,painted and now she operates the way she should. perfect.

Comment

yamaha 150 trim tilt

I have a 2003 150 and had to trim up to get some line out of the prop. Pump made a lot of noise coming up, and would not come down. had to release the pressure with the manuel bleed screw. Noticed some air buildup and foamy fluid. How do I check the level and bleed the air? What should I use for fluid?

Comment

Replace the oring and seals, but I did not upload the engine.

I've tried without success, I must be doing something wrong. Loosen the pressure release, then went up the engine with a jack. Manually go up and down the piston at the top filled with oil. Repeat these steps for a long period until full of oil. Then I adjust the pressure release screw. I try to get on and off the motor switch, and I did not upload. I'll be doing wrong ..

For inf. I have a 2000 EVINRUDE FICHT 150 HP WITH POWER TRIM / TILT FAKTRACK.

Comment

Working...
                          X