Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F150 Engine Mounted Fuel Filter

All

I have a 2008 Yamaha F150 outboard, and I have changed everything for 100hr maint, oil, oil filter, 10 micron filter, lower gear oil, sparkplugs, but fo the life of me, I cannot unscrew the engine mounted fule bowl, to change this fuel filter. I have been wrenching on it pretty hard and I am afraid of breaking it. Is there a secrete or tool for removing this bowl to change the filter?

Chris

hello
    to remove it you have to unscrew the black ring on top of the clear bowl, lift up the retainer first and unscrew, it should comme off easily, no need to tighy hard.
    frenchy

Comment

Ethanol(hate that stuff) will swell up the plastic cup and make it very difficult to remove. Sometimes have to remove filter, pour out fuel and let sit for several hours then try to remove cup. If that is the case you might want to order a spare cup.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Did you figure it out?

I'm having the same issue with my fuel filter. Did you ever figure it out. I didn't understand instructions by frenchy (black retainer ring? mine doen't have one of these) and like you afraid to force it too far. No clear instructions on internet that I can find. My water in fuel filter alarm is driving me crazy. Only 45 hours on boat and runs fine. No sign of water in fuel filter that I can see.

Comment

what i call the black ring is a nut, it need to be unscrewed to remove the clear bowl .
          frenchy

Comment

Originally posted by cyrillefrenchy View Post
            what i call the black ring is a nut, it need to be unscrewed to remove the clear bowl .
            frenchy
            All I see is 2 bolts in mount and 2 bolts (or plugs) in top of cover. Can you explain in more details please. I just about ripped the skin off of my hands trying to screw cup off. Are you talking about both of the bolts (or plugs) on cap? One of them is in the center and the other is right under one of the mount bolt heads, Thanks

Comment

i am talking about the nut # 8 to enscrew, the bowl is #7 and the filter is # 11
              Yamaha Outboard Parts 2005 F150TLRD FUEL 1 Diagram

Comment

Perfect

Thanks Frenchy! I've got an idea of what Im doing now. Perfcet with exploded diagram!

Comment

Bad Sensor

Couldn't get cup off so removed the two bolts that hold filter on to mount. disconected the inlet and outlet hoses and unplugged the sensor. Then I drained the filter out the inlet side and no sign of water present. Also, replaced 10 Micron filter in boat. Checked fuel in it and no sign of water. No doubt now it's got to be a bad sensor. Filled with clean gas and plugged back in to engine and turned key on. Alarm went back off! Thanks Frenchy for your help!

Comment

That filter bowl on my 90HP is tight like that, just grab it with a pair of pliers and unscrew it. The bowl is made of a tough nylon-like material and is not all that delicate. Clean little screen which just pops off, replace it, oil o-ring and threads and screw bowl back on by hand to be sure not to cross thread. Once you do it there's no problem at all. Good Luck

Comment

Got it off and sensor replaced

Found the trick for cup swelling tight. Took cap and bowl off engine. purged gas out of inlet side of filter. Let it dry for a day and then put it into freezer for and hour. Once cold and slightly shrunk the cup (or bowl) came loose with a little force and 2 pair of vise grips. Took sensor to dealer for warrnty replacement. Also good thing to know is check leads coming off sensor you should have no continuity with the cup facing up (float in down position/ not floating) and continuity with the cup facing down/ float in up position/ floating) thoght this might help others with this same problem and trying to make sure they have the correct diagnosis. If your wrong and take it in my dealer will hit you with a diagnostic fee of $89 plus labor if you guessed wrong.

Comment

Engine mounted filter on my 90HP Yamaha is very tight like that. I just grab it with some big pliers and unscrew it. The filter bowl is made of some tough nylon-like material and not very delicate. I oil the o-ring and threads to re-install by hand so not to cross-thread it. Maybe just hand tighten and run motor to check for leaks. With my fuel/water seperator installed, the engine mounted filter never has anything in it, so don't have to remove it very often.
                        Just put the muscle on it with the big pliers! Good Luck!

Comment

Just grab plastic filter bowl with large pair of pliers, unscrew it, remove filter screen, clean and replace, oil o-ring and threads on plastic filter bowl, replace by hand to avoid cross-threading, tighten a bit, run motor to check for leaks. The plastic filter bowl is made of a tough nylon-type plastic that is not very delicate or easily broken. Very easy! Good Luck!

Comment

the f 150 has a defective water sensor in the fuel bowl.yamaha has a lot of tbl. with them.take the motor back the dealer,they will change it under the warranty.i had the same tbl with mine.

Comment

Filter

I have a question since were talking about those filters should they be completly full with gas while running or does the bowl only fill up about half way up the filter? I can pump the bulb and it will fill up but when she is running it will stay half way down the filter or a little below.

Comment

Working...
                              X