Paint for yamaha outboard??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint for yamaha outboard??

I am repainting the cowls of my '88 150hp twins (150ETXG &L150ETXG). I am having a tough time finding the proper Yamaha OEM paint. I want it as close as possible to the color on the motors

I have tried Yamaha Marine Silver (PNT-87000-SP-EK) which is close but not 'blue' enough', it's a very light silver blue.

Is this the correct paint color for this motor? I can't seem to find paint in the part catalog
    thanks

That is all we have available to us, if you spray a clear coat on it it will darken a little but still not a perfect match. An automotive painter can computer match the color and it comes out as close as I have seen it.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

This has probably been covered in more recent posts.

As I Iook at the available information for repainting the cowling on m 2006 15 HP Yamaha dinghy motor, I find Yamaha spray paint that will match my motor along with other brands that also report good color match. However I don't see a Yamaha brand clear coat where as other brands advertise it together with their paint.

Is there a a compatible clear coat is recommended for use with the Yamaha brand paint .?

YouTube seems to have lots of instructions regarding the general procedures for sanding and painting a cowling but I don't see the compatibility of clear coat and Yamaha branded paint referred to. If there is better info out there than i am finding please let me know .

Thanks all!

Comment

I'm no expert on this, but I know that ColorRite is the "official" Yamaha paint
        and in the "help" section of their web page, states:

Determine the proper clearcoat for your application.
        All colors require a gloss clear unless specifically noted.
        Any size ordered, from touch-up pen up to a quart, needs to be clearcoated.
        You will find all the appropriate clears under "Products."

https://www.colorrite.com/department...dels-11604.cfm

Comment

Color Rite will be rite with clear coat.

Comment

Painted my 2004 cowling last year with color rite was a very good match with the rest of the engine. Used their primer, their color and their clear coat. reapplied new decals after paint job.

May redo my Mercury in the near future and will use them again for that paint.
            Last edited by dray0151; 11-01-2018, 05:11 PM. Reason: Now have a Mercury
            Dennis
            Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
              Painted my 2004 cowling last year with color rite was a very good match with the rest of the engine. Used their primer, their color and their clear coat. reapplied new decals after paint job.

May redo my Mercury in the near future and will use them again for that paint.
              How much to paint an F150 cowl?

Comment

I used I think two cans of primer as I took it all the way down to fix a couple of spots in the glass. I had five cans of color as I did not want to run short since you need to get the clear coat on within a time frame of when you apply the color and three cans of clear coat again so I would not run short trying to get the clear on within the given time frames.
                I applied several good coats of color to get the color close and two medium coats of clear and then one light final clear

In my case I had a most of a can of color left as I would not try to run the cans empty when using and most of a can of clear left when done.
                Dennis
                Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Working...
                X