skeg repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skeg repair

I struck a tree(?)in the water last night with my lower unit on a F150. I tore two large chunks out of the skeg and nicked one of the prop blades. The skeg is also slightly bent to the port side. I don't see any oil leaking and fluids seem ok. I took the boat back to the water today and the performance of the motor/boat hasn't noticeably changed as far as hole shot and top end. I realize that fuel efficiency will suffer, though. What else mechanically should I be concerned about? Is it ok to run the but in this condition? Can the skeg be repaired? Should I repair or replace the aluminum prop? Thanks.

A nick is not a problem a bent prop shaft is a problem. As long as prop shaft is ok you can take the prop by a dealer and get there oppinion on prop repair.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Your marine mechanic should be able to arrange to get your skeg repaired. I banged my 200's skeg up pretty badly and broke a large portion of it off. Cost me around $350 to get it fixed in Key West...they did ALL the work, and it looks like brand new. If you can get the lower unit off (easy) yourself and are willing to do the priming and painting I imagine it would be about $100 cheaper.

If you don't want your mechanic to do it, try calling a couple prop shops and see if they recommend anyone.

Comment

Thanks,

I called a local prop shop and they said it sounded like a routine skeg repair. So I'm going to take the boat in and turn them loose on it and the prop next week. I appreciate the advice. Thanks again.

seahunter

Comment

Working...
        X