Yamaha 5B 654

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 5B 654

1. I already figured out, that I need the NGK B6HS sparking plug for this ancient outboard engine. The next thing I want to know, is the exact distance between the electrode(s). Can someone please inform me about that.

2. Does anyone know a link on the internet, where I can find technical notes on this engine (the Yamaha 5B 654 (1977-1980)).

Thank you on forehand.

3. N.B. I will put a link here, where you can find a list with Yamaha outboard types, so you can easily identify your engine, using the numbers on your OBM identification plate.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...odelGuide.html

I don't have any information on that model, the closest we have is a 1984 5hp which used a B7HS plug gapped at 0.6mm.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

1. I will duplicate the distance of the existing plug electrode and hope for the best.

"1984" seems to be a general borderline in the techno-info on this subject; as if one assumes, that older engines will be on the scrapyard, and therefore will need no attention. On the contrary I should say. On the other hand one could argue, that the world nowadays (at least) needs cleaner fourstroke engines to survive ecologically.

2. Nevertheless : I will repeat my question for technical notes on the Yamaha OBM 5B 654 (5 HP / end seventies).

3. I hope the offered link towards the Yamaha OBM identificationscheme is useable for some attenders of this forum.

Thank you,
      Ahrend

Comment

1984 is when Yamaha starting selling Outboard motors in the USA and we don't have access to information on motors sold outside US.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I see, well thanks a lot for your reaction in the first place.
          I started the engine anyway (after removing the old fuel and cleaning the sparking plug with a simple steelbrush), with its old plug to ignite the 1 : 100 mixture, and after a few (and a few more) pulls, it hesitatingly, began running again, and now it even runs quite smoothly. So we are in a double good mood to continue our efforts for more info about the engine, only now slightly more directed towards the european visitor of this forum.

Thanks again
          Greetings,
          Ahrend
          Holland
          Europe

Comment

I've just bought a secondhand 5BS. Mine came with the original owners manual so may well have the spark plug (and does have all thh fuel mix ratios) in it. I'll be at the boat again next weekend and will have a look and let you know.

I've been struggling with the "air cooling" though. It has pee holes and teh manual says water should come out when it is in forward, but I only get exhaust gases out of them and can't find any impellor (but then if it's 100% air cooled I wouldn't). Do you get water out of the peee holes?

Also, I need to adjust the tickover as it just cuts out when at low (mooring) speeds. This is my first outboard and so don't know how to do this. Did you ever find a service/technical manual????

Comment

Hi Guys, did you figure out if it was aircooled or water cooled? I recently got one as well, 5b 654 1980 model..

Comment

Originally posted by maby**** View Post
                I've just bought a secondhand 5BS. Mine came with the original owners manual so may well have the spark plug (and does have all thh fuel mix ratios) in it. I'll be at the boat again next weekend and will have a look and let you know.

I've been struggling with the "air cooling" though. It has pee holes and teh manual says water should come out when it is in forward, but I only get exhaust gases out of them and can't find any impellor (but then if it's 100% air cooled I wouldn't). Do you get water out of the peee holes?

Also, I need to adjust the tickover as it just cuts out when at low (mooring) speeds. This is my first outboard and so don't know how to do this. Did you ever find a service/technical manual????
                I too have a 5BS, and would appreciate any info on the fuel oil ratio and the spark plug that should be used.

Thanks,

Comment

Parts list. http://www.huntsmarineyamaha.com.au/part-search
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by DanieMeyer; 11-28-2018, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Hello, does anyone know where to find a fuel cap for the built in tank of my Yamaha 5b 654?

Comment

Originally posted by Linalina View Post
                      Hello, does anyone know where to find a fuel cap for the built in tank of my Yamaha 5b 654?
                      How many posts on the same subject will you be making? Why?

Comment

I apologize for benig annoying, I am very keen on finding this spare part and though writing in two threads would increase the chance! Thank you for your suggestion in the other thread, sadly that one will not fit my model. Best regards, Lina

Comment

Did you buy the cap and confirm for yourself that it will not fit?

Comment

Hello again! I did not but my model is not mentioned in the list and the size is wrong, judging by the picture.

Comment

I would be very surprised if Yamaha used a peculiar cap just for one model. All the caps I found use the same part number.

Comment

Working...
                              X