F100 Water pump seals ****ed by freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F100 Water pump seals ****ed by freezing

I've got a 2001 F100 that I use periodically in winter. However, last year the lower unit suddenly got a lot of water in the grease. I removed the unit, and the seal block below the water pump had the seals ****ed. I contacted several dealers, who've said they have similar problems and they just change grease, repress seals back into housing with loctite. Is there a tech release out suggesting other solutions, or a new seal block with a retaining ring for the seals. Thank you, RB

No if you can find the seal that allowed the water to get into the gearcase and replace it that would stop the gearcase from freezeing up
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

The seals did not leak to begin with. Water froze between the seals and the water pump, ****ing the seals, thus making the 2 seals allow water to enter the gearcase from the pump. The problem is that the design does not allow all of the water to exit the pump and when it ices up, it displaces the seals (turns them slightly sideways within their housing). For some reason, the pump design is not such that it releases enough water when the motor is stored in freezing weather. I've spoken to 2 dealers that have seen the problem, and I know of at least one other. One says to just loctite the seals back in after changing the grease, and the other does some drainhole modifications in the pump housing itself. I would think Yamaha would have been alerted, and sent out an alert or recall. Thanks, RB

Comment

Working...
      X