Faded Yamaha Gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faded Yamaha Gauges

Purchased a new Yamaha 200 HP Saltwater Series outboard in 1994 and now have about 700 hours on it. Great motor; only problem was some flashing in a carb passage when new. After 5 years the displayed characters in the two supplied Yamaha LCD multifunction gauges began to fade, along with some warping of the clear plastic in the display. After about 8 years they were unreadable. I'm seeking advice about whether there is any alternative to expensive OEM gauge replacement. I'm pretty well assuming that Yamaha will not make good on this at this late date.

Environmental conditions, by the way are that the boat is stored outside in North Florida (temps range from 30-100 degrees F), and the boat is covered (protected from sun and UV) about 80% of the time.

Thanks, Sven

You can save a few dollars on ebay, ive bought them for 100+ or at different retailers...i know of one in ft pierce that will ship it, marine liquidators. You own the best brand of motor, dont be afraid to keep it in tip top, oem shape.

Comment

If you are going to buy new Yamaha gauges get the kits they are cheaper than seperate gauges.
      6YR-W0035-E1-00 Multifunction tach kit
      6YR-W0035-F1-00 Multifunction tach and speedo kit
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the tips, JB123 and boats.net. I agree about keeping it in tip-top shape, being a former auto technician and not wanting to be stranded off-shore. I miss my visual indicators, especially for overheat, volts, and oil level, even with the backup audible alarms (that I hope work if needed). This is a great forum, and I will refer my brother and nephew (also Yam owners) to it.

One additional, non-critical question: I'm not sure of the part names, but can or should anything be done to replace the two rusting nuts on the front of the studs that appear to hold the motor on the bracket (forward facing studs, located right behind top of transom, under powerhead at top of lower unit)? Due to regular applications of Boeshield or just good stainless everywhere else, these nuts are the only two rusting pieces on the motor, and appear hard (or possibly ill-advised) to replace.

Comment

do you mean the nuts at the front underside of the powerhead? if so..i think 12mm,those are the front powerhead base nuts and there should be 2 bolts heading up into the head also in the same area.an easy change if those are the suspect ones.

Comment

Working...
          X