Impeller replacement problem 150 TXRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impeller replacement problem 150 TXRS

Hello everyone I am in the process of replacing the impeller on my 1994 150TXRS. Everything was going fine until I tried to remove cresent key on the drive shaft, it is stuck good. I have soaked it with "Break Free" and tried to pound and pry it out with no success. Any suggestions out there? I am reluctent to apply heat without more knowledge.
    I replaced the impeller three years ago but don't remember any problems. I have a water pump kit to install which includes a new key. The one stuck in it is the original, in the past I have replaced the impeller only.
    BTW, the impleller I am replacing looked fine except for some creases in the bends. I still plan to change impeller every 2-3 years just to make sure I can get the thing apart without damage. The motor has always run great and never seen fresh water other than the flush hose.

You have to get a pointed punch and just pound it out of there. If it's the original one I'm sure it's stuck good. I'm surprised your base plate lasted this long without being replaced. Did you get a new plastic housing too? Its best to replace all of that at the same time. Also take a close look at the driveshaft seal under the base plate. There is a tension spring on the seal lip that tends to break and allow water into the lower unit, its a good time to replace that seal too just for insurance. Do you have a factory service manual for your motor? If not go to www.Yamahapubs.com and order one. Use a torque wrench when re-tightening the waterpump housing bolts and torque them evenly. You should glue that big O-ring in place on the new housing the night before you do the replacement work so it has a chance to dry and hold in place. If you don't use some silicone to stick it in place it will slip out of the groove and lose the seal. Same with the smaller one at the ceiling of the housing. Good luck.

Mike ........ Miami, FL

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mike. I did not order a new plastic housing but I will now. The existing base plate did not look bad but it is getting replaced with the new one fronm the kit. Yes, I have a factory manual. I haven't had a chance to work on motor this week but i'll be on it in an hour or so and I'll take a good look at that seal when I get the plate off.
      Thanks again...
      Al
      Oceanside, CA

Comment

Working...
      X