Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t9.9 Impeller Replacement

I have 2 questions.

1) Does the impeller have to be changed periodically if I'm not having any problems? I can't find it in the manual maintenance schedule but most people seem to think it has to be changed periodically.

2) How do I open the bottom unit to get to the impeller. I took off the propeller assembly and unlinked the control shaft and took off the lower unit nuts, as per the manual, but I can't get the lower unit off, no matter how hard I pull. Is there a special tool or technique ?

thanks very much.

Yes - Change that impeller! I understand at least every 2 years is the reco.

Aside from the linkage and the bolts, there is nothing that will intentionally hold the lower unit onto the motor. I suspect that the spline end of the drive shaft is rusted into the receptacle. Is this an older motor? Pulling is the best, but a gentle rap with a rubber mallet will probably not hurt anything, or donate $75 to your local shop, and I'm sure they can help.

Comment

I had same problem. Removing lower. It took somewhat drastic steps to get mine off. I had motor mounted on transom and put 2x4s supporting the upper case in the front and back. I then bolted some more 2x4s to the lower so they sandwiched the lower just above the bulb that holds gears. These extended out about 3' so I could put a brace underneath the other end. I then tapped progressively harder with a sledge till the unit broke the corrosion seal. To avoid having this problem again make sure you put some Water resistant grease on the driveshaft end and I coated the bolts that hold the lower on with silicone gasket maker. This is where the problem was. I started pulling mine once a season Just so it wouldnt get froze up again.

Comment

Working...
      X