Yamaha Autolube problem??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Autolube problem??

I am a novice and the boat I have recently bought has a 25 NEO, 25hp Yamaha Autolube outboard, 1990. I've been out several times with no probs. Just recently whilst out, the alarm has gone off indicating the oil tank is low, which it isn't. This cuts the engine revs to tickover. Judging by the smoke in the exhaust the oil is getting through OK, and there is a strong stream of water coming from the cooling system, water is tepid so engine not overheating. The alarm only comes on after approx 1 hour's running, not paticulary heavy work, and then again fairly quickly after resetting. On the advice of an engineer I disconnected the sensor/float and cruised home OK. Anyone else experienced this and/or can suggest where to start looking. Cheers.

Replace the oil tank sensor. Go to www.YamahaPubs.com and buy a service manual for your motor.

How old is the waterpump? If you don't know then I would suggest replacing it to be safe and to determine it's condition. So you know when the last time it was changed. As far as the tell-tale stream, it should be cool anyway, it's just the supply side to the powerhead, not the outlet side. It should be close to the same temperature as the water you're running in. To judge the temperature of the powerhead you either have to point an infra red thermometer at it or hold your hand down at the exhaust outlet and feel the water coming out there, that is the outlet flow side for the cooling system.

Mike.......... Miami, FL

Comment

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply and info, which makes a lot of sense. I've got a manual on it's way. Cheers Tone

Comment

Just a footnote for anyone reading. After the engineer had worked on it, it turned out to be an overheating problem, due to a mishapen seal which interfered with the flow of water on the outward flow, around where the thermostat is. Cheers Tone.

Comment

Working...
        X