Problem with 200 HPDI cold start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with 200 HPDI cold start

I have twin 200HP 2002 HPDI's that im having a problem starting cold. After I finally get them started, they run good especially at high speed. I am from New York and was told it could have something to do with the alcohol that is added to the fuel. Spark plugs are changed every 100 hrs or so and I have never changed any filters except for the rayco water seperator every year. I was also told it could have something to do with the O2 sensor. Both motors are acting the exact same way and each have 330 hrs on them. I also accidently ran them both out of fuel about a month ago while backing into my slip if that could mean something.

Thanks for any imput...Bob G.

Do you prime the primer bulb before you try starting them? There's also the underhood fuel filter you might look at, see if there's any water in there or something else blocking flow. If you have a laptop computer you can buy the Yamaha Diagnostic System software kit and plug into your HPDI's ECU and see what's going on. Part number is 60V-85300-02 and it costs about $250. Its the same system your dealer would use to diagnose your engines. Do the engines miss at midrange or above? Problems with the O2 sensor will show up there, but not much at idle. Cylinders #2 and #3 are killed by the ECU when the motor is in neutral, so that ends up causing that old 2-stroke rough idle syndrome. Those are just a few things to check.

Mike ....... Miami, FL

Comment

Hello Mike..Thank you for your response to my problem with my HPDI's. I decided to change my water separators and put new plugs in to see if that would solve the problem. For some reason something fouled the plugs big time because they seem to be much happier now.I am the origional owner and never had a plug problem before.I dont know if you know anything about the fuel problem we are having in NY but they are adding alcohol to the fuel for air pollution purposes and it is having a very bad effect on outboards...Thanks again.

Comment

If you're using Yamalube I would recommend switching to a full synthetic oil like Amsoil or Pennsoil synthetic (Walmart). Yamalube just seems to foul plugs and O2 sensors on the HPDIs. I have a VMax HPDI on my Hewes and run Amsoil HP TCW-III oil. The plugs stay clean and the prop exhaust barrel does too. Give it a shot and see if that solves your problem. Are you using a Racor filter?

Mike...... Miami, FL

Comment

ham, where do you get these brands,ive not seen them.

Comment

Amsoil is a national pyramid distribution chain kinda like Amway, except they specialize in synthetic oils. They've been around a long time but don't really advertise much. You can read up on them at www.Amsoil.com . Most likely someone in your neighborhood is an Amsoil dealer. But Amsoil is not the only synthetic oil out there. Pennsoil synthetic is a great oil or Klotz. It's just that Yamalube has been a sensor and plug fouling problem for many owners. I don't know if it's a substandard additive package they're using now or what, but I hunt out the best for my motors and the full synthetics provide it.

Mike

Comment

You can buy AMSOIL products online at my web site or call me if you have any questions.

--
              Bruce Wappman
              AMSOIL Dealer
              www.thebestsyntheticoil.com
              717.645-4358

Comment

Working...
              X