1985 Yamaha 40hp ESRX questions.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Yamaha 40hp ESRX questions.....

I have recently purchased a 1985 Yamaha 40hp ERSX tiller handle version. Excellent condition, runs perfectly, however......it is a premix, not direct oil injection. Was this model a 2 stroke premix, or has the oil reservoir and oil pump been disconnected? I have looked online to compare to other 1985 Yamaha 40hp, and I see the oil tank is mounted on the port side, and see where the mounting screw holes are on my outboard. Would appreciate an answer from a Yamaha expert on this matter. Also, wish to upgrade tiller handle.....have read answers on part no. for tiller and fitting parts to upgrade to similar models, just not a 1985 series. Just want to know it applies to this model too. Thanks in advance for any reply.

a 40ESRX is a 1999 model

Comment

A 40ESRX was an oil injection model. Appears that someone disconnected the system and went to premix. A shame.

Provide the complete ID for your motor. Should be on a label attached to the left hand clamp bracket.

What tiller handle, by part number, do you want to use?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        a 40ESRX is a 1999 model
        I'm sorry, you are correct. A 1985 Yamaha 40hp ESX. Was looking to buy a 1999 Yamaha ERSX at the same time as this one purchased. Appreciate your comment.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          A 40ESRX was an oil injection model. Appears that someone disconnected the system and went to premix. A shame.

Provide the complete ID for your motor. Should be on a label attached to the left hand clamp bracket.

What tiller handle, by part number, do you want to use?
          Thanks for the comment. BTW, motor is a ESX, not ERSX. Listed for part numbers as follows: Tiller Handle-6X4-42103-56-00.
          Fitting Kit-6X4-42102-63-00

Also, if it is POSSIBLE to ask, I can upgrade to an electric start as well? Starter motor part number I have researched is 6H4-81800-12-00. Will need a new flywheel.....? Other parts needed......?

Comment

Originally posted by Speckiller1957 View Post
            I'm sorry, you are correct. A 1985 Yamaha 40hp ESX. Was looking to buy a 1999 Yamaha ERSX at the same time as this one purchased. Appreciate your comment.
            there is no 40 ESX listed for 1985 either

Comment

How about a 40ESK?

But a 40ESK came with an electric starter motor installed. That is what the E is for.

I don't see a 6X4 tiller handle working on that model.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                there is no 40 ESX listed for 1985 either
                Well, Hoss, all I can go by is this... 1985 40ESK Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  How about a 40ESK?

But a 40ESK came with an electric starter motor installed. That is what the E is for.

I don't see a 6X4 tiller handle working on that model.
                  Ah, once again my error. "E" stands for electric.....so, I have a 40SX, of which I would like to make into a 40ESX. A 1986 Yamaha 40hp tiller was advised to upgrade to those part numbers. Hey, I am asking questions and appreciating responses. Hopefully, my learning curve shows improvement. Thanks again, and provide as much info as possible.

Comment

Do you have the complete engine ID? Should be on a sticker on the left hand clamp bracket. Will begin with the number 6. Looks like this

https://www.google.com/search?q=yama...iBiHxBhXcqMlM:

Comment

Originally posted by Speckiller1957 View Post
                      Well, Hoss, all I can go by is this... 1985 40ESK Yamaha Outboard Parts
                      there is a difference in a X and a K

as Boscoe said look at the tag and report back exactly what is written on the motor ID

Comment

Working...
                      X