f150 balancer removal and oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
    my guess would be the gear that is tore up in the pic.
    gear driven by the gear on the crank

I would also think that if the shafts and gear assemblies were removed there will be open oil ports that has close tolerances to the shafts that would just gush oil with them removed causing lower oil pressure
    Your 100 % correct on all points. The gear that fails (pictured) is driven by a steel gear in the engine(attached to the crankshaft- see my engine pic below).

I still have my type 3 balancer in the attic. I can, later today, peek at that hole and try to verify if it's an oiling hole.

I agree as well, about the oil pressure being affected. With the shafts out, it'd be similar to having a rod bearing out (oil pressure wise).

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

My no balancer experiment is over.

The pic above makes more sense of the ops question on the "grub" screw. Maybe Rodbolt can enlighten us on the purpose.

Grub screw?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
        My no balancer experiment is over.

The pic above makes more sense of the ops question on the "grub" screw. Maybe Rodbolt can enlighten us on the purpose.

Grub screw?
        Didn't think about that but your right..

All the other openings are mounting bolts. Close that one off (on the balancer COVER) and your good to go..

Even to plug it (aluminum plug) with loctite will be the cleanest and easiest method. It isn't going anywhere and the oil pressure is now kept where it's needed.

(BTW, great catch Pat. Saved me a trip to the attic)

Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X