X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f150 balancer removal and oil pressure

Hi all,
    I know this has been asked before.
    Just removed my balancers on pair of 09 f150's.
    Balancer spins freely and looks ok, but has a slight whine at idle.

Going to remove the internals and replace and see how it goes.

My question is on oil pressure once the internals are removed.
    Id imagine with the shaft/bearing assembly removed there would be a risk of low oil pressure due to increased flow.

I noticed there is a grub screw on the block directly above the oil passage leading to the balancer oil port.

Instead of drilling and tapping a plug in the balancer, I'm wondering if I could simply screw the grub screw in the block down?

Cant find any reference of this screw in the manual.
    Attached Files

I don't know it might just be the angle off the picture you have posted but are the teeth of the flywheel not slanted upward just above the area you have highlighted the plug?
    Dennis
    Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
      I don't know it might just be the angle off the picture you have posted but are the teeth of the flywheel not slanted upward just above the area you have highlighted the plug?
      what does that have to do with his question?

OP I have no idea about how the removal of the balancer is suppose to be done correctly

Comment

Nothing but looked odd to me sir. Wasn't sure if that's a problem or not just stating what I saw.
        Dennis

Comment

OP posted on THT with the same. I responded there. I have no idea what the "grub" screw does. Plug the hole if you wish. I did not. The oil, as far as I am concerned, has no idea if the balancers are there or not. Oil follows the same narrowing path with or without.

Comment

Member Peterson ran his F150 W/O a balancer.

He'll chime in about the oil pressure issue, etc (IDK).

He eventually replaced his with a type 4 (the latest) as he mentioned vibration as the main issue.

You very likely won't see anything unusual inspecting. If it sounds like a super
            charger (whine) just off idle, it needs replacement (or removal).

I had the original type 2 replaced by Yamaha under warranty with a type 3. The type 3 started whining and I also started having what sounded like a squeeky cam belt.

Within the last year, I replaced it with a type 4. Nice and quiet, no whine, no belt noise.

IMO, well worth the $400 or so. Much cheaper and easier than a full engine tear down (upon failure).

Here's a pic of a failed balancer (not mine):

Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Question. People talk or write about "the driven gear". What is the driven gear in the pic?

Comment

my guess would be the gear that is tore up in the pic.
                gear driven by the gear on the crank

I would also think that if the shafts and gear assemblies were removed there will be open oil ports that has close tolerances to the shafts that would just gush oil with them removed causing lower oil pressure
                Last edited by 99yam40; 12-15-2017, 09:02 PM.

Comment

99Yam would that not be the drive gear if it is connected to the source of power the crankshaft? The driven gear is the one that is driven by the drive gear in a gear train. Is the plastic gear the one that connected to the crankshaft?
                  Dennis

Comment

should be a gear on the crank the meshes with that gear that is tore up, so that is why I say it is the driven gear,
                    see what others have to say

Comment

Agreed but then all the gears are really the driven gears is that not correct? Doesn't matter how many other gears the drive gear drives for whatever purpose.
                      Dennis

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone,
                        As states in one of the replies, removal of the balancer internal should cause drop in oil pressure through the system due to passages being wide open .

I know of some people tapping and plugging the oil passage on the balancer once the internals are removed.

I live in Australia so the part is about $600-700 each and I need 2. easier to just remove the guts of the ones I have.

As for the fly wheel. Its just the optics of the photo.. good pick up though

Comment

According to google search - there is a drive gear and a driven gear. That makes it easier to visualize for me. So I assume Yam is right. Drive gear on crank and pulverized gear is the driven gear.

Comment

Originally posted by tsdean1980 View Post
                            Thanks for the replies everyone,
                            As states in one of the replies, removal of the balancer internal should cause drop in oil pressure through the system due to passages being wide open .

I know of some people tapping and plugging the oil passage on the balancer once the internals are removed.

I live in Australia so the part is about $600-700 each and I need 2. easier to just remove the guts of the ones I have.

As for the fly wheel. Its just the optics of the photo.. good pick up though
                            I am guessing, as I have no idea if there is a restriction/orifice some where that would limit oil pressure loss when parts are removed.
                            Maybe Rodbolt knows for sure how they are normally removed and run

Comment

I think the oil port for the bearings etc is the red circled port. Wouldn't know about any oil splashing around where the missing gears and shaft would have been?
                              Attached Files
                              Dennis

Comment

Working...
                              X