No announcement yet.

Choke plate adjustment: 90ETLK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

check for 12+ voltage at the choke switch, both sides to start out with.
    if not there follow it back to key switch.
    if it is on both sides of choke switch then follow it to the choke actuator,
    if there also then check the ground wire

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      The choke switch gets battery power from the key switch so the key switch needs to be in the on position for the choke solenoid to function.

If spring loaded the choke switch will be normally open. When the toggle is pressed against spring pressure the switch closes causing the choke plates to close. When the toggle is released it will spring back to its normal position and the choke plates should automatically open.

If the toggle switch is not spring loaded then the toggle switch will need to be returned to the off position by manually moving the switch. Like one has to do with the pull to choke knob at the front of the motor.
      So i finally got a multimeter on the solenoid. When I hit the toggle switch I get a reading just shy of 12v. When i hit the ignition the reading drops to around 8.2v. Do i need a new solenoid or should this be enough voltage to engage the choke plates and I in fact have a problem elsewhere?

Comment

Sounds like a textbook voltage drop issue. I presume that when you say you "hit the ignition" you are talking about engaging the starter motor.

Disconnect, clean and reconnect as many electrical connections that you can find. Battery cables at both ends and all points on the motor. Make sure they are all goodentight.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Sounds like a textbook voltage drop issue. I presume that when you say you "hit the ignition" you are talking about engaging the starter motor.

Disconnect, clean and reconnect as many electrical connections that you can find. Battery cables at both ends and all points on the motor. Make sure they are all goodentight.
          When you say "as many electrical connections as I can find" you mean ones that relate directly to the solenoid and the battery correct?

Comment

Originally posted by ctmnsow32 View Post

When you say "as many electrical connections as I can find" you mean ones that relate directly to the solenoid and the battery correct?
            Yes. But since checking electrical connections is free and easy, and one might get overlooked, I would inspect them all.

Comment

Wiring diagram is in here
              https://www.vansoutboardparts.com/se...a-90n-k-1/file

Comment

Working...
              X