Choke plate adjustment: 90ETLK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke plate adjustment: 90ETLK

So you guys have been super helpful with my 1985 yamaha 90ETLK and I'm hoping you can help some more. It appears my choke plates are not closing all the way when I am at full choke. The motor has a really tough time on cold starts and I think this is a potential reason.

Sorry for the sideways pics... The first one shows no choke and plates open (no problem). Second shows choke plates closed after I manually put them in that position. Which is where I believe they should be, however, the third pic shows where the plates actually are at when they are at "full choke".

Any suggestions?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by ctmnsow32 View Post
    So you guys have been super helpful with my 1985 yamaha 90ETLK and I'm hoping you can help some more. It appears my choke plates are not closing all the way when I am at full choke. The motor has a really tough time on cold starts and I think this is a potential reason.

Sorry for the sideways pics... The first one shows no choke and plates open (no problem). Second shows choke plates closed after I manually put them in that position. Which is where I believe they should be, however, the third pic shows where the plates actually are at when are at "full choke".
    Any suggestions?
    explain how you manually put then in that position.

and explain what you mean at full choke and how you got them there.

also it looks like not all are closing the same

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      explain how you manually put then in that position.

and explain what you mean at full choke and how you got them there.

also it looks like not all are closing the same

Problem 1 solved: So i figured out that a small piece of the choke assembly was getting hung up and preventing the choke plates from fully closing so on to problem 2....

Yam40 is correct, not all the plates are closing the same. Is this something that I can adjust? The bottom plate appears to be fully shut, while the middle one is slightly open and then top even a little more than the middle one.

Major or minor issue and is it worth the hassle to adjust?

Comment

still need the info on how you are getting them into those positions.

Also there is a link and sync procedure when the carbs are put back on. have you followed that when putting them on?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          still need the info on how you are getting them into those positions.

Also there is a link and sync procedure when the carbs are put back on. have you followed that when putting them on?

I am using the manual choke lever on the front of the motor in order to get the plates in that position... full choke.

I was not aware of a link and sync procedure. (As you have probably concluded early on I am a novice and have been learning by trial and error, along with this the help of forums like this. I apologize for improper terms and appreciate all the help). Is there a video you would recommend on youtube for the link and sync procedure?

Comment

link and sync is for the throttle plates , not for the choke plates.
            being my motor does not have a choke I cannot help with setting those linkages

Comment

You have a manual for that engine? If not go here and find your engine.

https://www.vansoutboardparts.com/se...ervice-manuals

Look closely at the linkages on the sides of the carbs while opening and closing the choke, you should see how to adjust them without too much trouble so they all open and close at the same time.

Post a picture of said linkages so we may be able to steer you in the right direction....

Comment

Looked at your engine manual (i think) the pics you provided and the choke plate linkages are hard to see. But they appear to be solid linkages and not adjustable. So something not together right, something broken??? Maybe they are supposed to be like that when closed, strange to say the least. Good question for Rodbolt.

Take a couple pictures of the linkages for show and tell.

Comment

Looking thru the shop manual (posted above) there's a solenoid that pulls the middle carb choke butterfly closed.

Looking at your pictures, agreed with Panasonic, the linkages look to be one piece (non-adjustable) The manual doesn't address adjusting this linkage.

However it is VERY likely the the top and lower carb choke butterfly's have a small plate and a screw attached to them for adjustment.

I would first disconnect the linkage and ascertain the center carb choke plate closes fully using the switch.

Once that's confirmed, re-attach the linkage and then loosen the TWO (top and bottom carbs), adjust and re-tighten the screws.

Double check operation of the choke for ALL plates now..

I doubt it, but adjustment may have to made with the choke butterfly's closed.

As noted above, a side view picture would help a bunch.

*With the large size of the "air bleed" in each of the plates, I doubt they should be set partially open. You pretty much just have one carb working as a choke right now...

The "link and sync" for the throttle butterfly's is in the above manual.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-15-2017, 09:03 AM.
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                    Looking thru the shop manual (posted above) there's a solenoid that pulls the middle carb choke butterfly closed.

Looking at your pictures, agreed with Panasonic, the linkages look to be one piece (non-adjustable) The manual doesn't address adjusting this linkage.

However it is VERY likely the the top and lower carb choke butterfly's have a small plate and a screw attached to them for adjustment.

I would first disconnect the linkage and ascertain the center carb choke plate closes fully using the switch.

Once that's confirmed, re-attach the linkage and then loosen the TWO (top and bottom carbs), adjust and re-tighten the screws.

Double check operation of the choke for ALL plates now..

I doubt it, but adjustment may have to made with the choke butterfly's closed.

As noted above, a side view picture would help a bunch.

*With the large size of the "air bleed" in each of the plates, I doubt they should be set partially open. You pretty much just have one carb working as a choke right now...

The "link and sync" for the throttle butterfly's is in the above manual.

I will work on getting some pictures up once the temperature gets about -10. On other issue I have come across is I don't believe the toggle switch for my choke is working correctly or at all for that matter. Does anyone have a link to a video that could assist with trouble shooting this? I'm not sure where the wiring would be located for this electric choke within the motor. I need some more help here. Thanks

Comment

pictures of the stbd side of the carbs with the airbox off.
                      it is a simple 12v solenoid.. when the switch is activated it ties the blue wire to the yellow wire at the helm and allows current to flow down the blue wire to the solenoid and through the solenoid out via the black wire to ground.
                      doesn't get more basic than this circuit.

Comment

I believe there is a slite bit of adjustmnt in the mounting on the solenoid braket, to get more pull.

Comment

I might be improperly calling what i have an "electric choke". I have a toggle switch under my ignition switch up by my console. I was told by the previous owner "this is your choke". When I hit the toggle switch my choke plates should shut correct? or do i need to hit the toggle and turn the ignition in order for them to shut?

Comment

The choke switch gets battery power from the key switch so the key switch needs to be in the on position for the choke solenoid to function.

If spring loaded the choke switch will be normally open. When the toggle is pressed against spring pressure the switch closes causing the choke plates to close. When the toggle is released it will spring back to its normal position and the choke plates should automatically open.

If the toggle switch is not spring loaded then the toggle switch will need to be returned to the off position by manually moving the switch. Like one has to do with the pull to choke knob at the front of the motor.
                            Last edited by boscoe99; 01-09-2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation boscoe. The choke plates are not closing so obviously I'm not getting power to the switch. Trouble shooting more electric. My least favorite thing. If you have any suggestion on a systematic way of approaching this I would appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X