No announcement yet.

Air adjustment screw: 1985 90hp ETLK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So turning counter clockwise on a "pilot" screw will RICHEN?

I was under the impression that pilot screws acted opposite to idle mixture screws that we all have been accustomed to.

Comment

looking at this in a logical way, if the air bleed jet is fixed,
      then allowing more of the mix of air and fuel into the motor by turning the screw out from seated would cause more fuel and air to mix with the air running past the throttle plate
      so yes it make it richer

Comment

Originally posted by BQUICK View Post
        So turning counter clockwise on a "pilot" screw will RICHEN?

I was under the impression that pilot screws acted opposite to idle mixture screws that we all have been accustomed to.
        What Yamaha calls a pilot screw a number of folks (Boscoe included) will call an idle mixture screw. I like to refer to it for what it does.

I don't know the origin of the word pilot with respect to a carburetor. I have looked up the meaning of the word pilot in several on-line dictionaries and none that I found make any reference to a carburetor. Might be a Japanese translation deal.

In the OP's model the pilot/idle mixture screw allows more fuel to flow when the screw is turned out and less fuel to flow when the screw is turned inwards. More fuel meaning a richer mixture. Less fuel meaning a leaner mixture. Other carburetors may be different.

For whatever it is worth, it might need to be noted that a small amount of air is bled into the fuel that is passing through the idle system within the carburetor. Fuel with a tad of air being bled into it will flow more freely than will just fuel alone.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          What air screws?
          Call it what you want.

Call torque either: FT / lbs or lbs / ft , semantic's.

There's one screw there to adjust the IDLE mix for each throttle throat.
          Op was informed of the correct, factory setting as requested..

And yes, Counter Clockwise, allows MORE FUEL, a RICHER MIX.

Yes Virginia, it's that simple...

Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
            Call it what you want.

Call torque either: FT / lbs or lbs / ft , semantic's.

There's one screw there to adjust the IDLE mix for each throttle throat.
            Op was informed of the correct, factory setting as requested..

And yes, Counter Clockwise, allows MORE FUEL, a RICHER MIX.

Yes Virginia, it's that simple...

With respect to torque to an object/fastener/shaft/etc it is pound-feet. Or lb-ft. Or lb/ft. Not foot pound.

It has been misstated for so long, by so many, so many times, even by mighty Yamaha, that folks have come to believe that it is foot pounds. Even some torque wrenches have it assbackwards. I suspect it is a result of lysdexia.

If I refer to TownsendsFJR1300 as panafairdealnut is that just semantics? Or am I wrong?

Comment

With respect to torque to an object/fastener/shaft/etc it is pound-feet. Or lb-ft. Or lb/ft. Not foot pound.

It has been misstated for so long, by so many, so many times, even by mighty Yamaha, that folks have come to believe that it is foot pounds. Even some torque wrenches have it assbackwards. I suspect it is a result of lysdexia.

We've discussed this, ^^^, at length MANY TIMES, torque, has it SHOULD be referred to. The result is the SAME.
              That's EXACTLY why I brought that up in this thread.

If I refer to TownsendsFJR1300 as panafairdealnut is that just semantics? Or am I wrong?
              Your absolutely wrong..

Your reaching really, really far as that last reference (panafairdealnut) makes absolutely no sense. No one would know what your talking about.. (except the regulars and bolt doesn't replace "NUT" as in RB). If I knew what you were referring to and didn't have to re-question you, who cares???

An air screw, idle air screw, (call it what you want), there's ONE ADJUSTMENT for the IDLE MIX, not four (as in panafairdealnut)...

All the OP WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT was the setting.

This is really getting silly..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-15-2017, 05:32 PM.
              Scott

Comment

I think everyone may be bored. Slap happy or whatever it may be called.

Contract time is the worst time of year in the beverage business.

Comment

Not silly at all. All part of being better educated.

It is my understanding that there are some carburetors that use an air adjusting screw to alter the amount of air that is allowed into the bleed air system of a carburetor. In that system, more air can mean a less rich mixture and less air can mean a richer mixture. Some Yam carburetors may operate in this manner. I don't know of any but they might.

The OP's 90 HP two stroke does not use an air adjustment screw. It uses a fuel adjustment screw. Called a pilot screw. Just as if he referred to his choke mechanism as being a Primestart would be incorrect, so too is it incorrect to refer to his specific motor as having an air adjustment screw. If he knows that his carburetor does not use an air adjustment screw will he want to continue to ask questions about an non-existent air adjustment screw? If so, he might as well ask about the operation of his Primestart device.

From a technical standpoint, torque is expressed in pound feet. Not foot pounds. Horsepower uses the term foot pounds which might be part of the reason for the misuse of the torque term.

Since it is just as easy to say the torque term correctly (pound feet) as it is to say the term incorrectly, why not use the correct term?

Folks (myself included) can be funny. If someone refers to someone else by the wrong name, they are generally embarrassed when they find out they have been calling a guy named Bob, Bill. They will apologize and make an effort to start calling Bob, Bob. But when folks find out they have been calling an object or a term by the wrong name they are highly resistant to correcting themselves. Why is that? Human nature I suppose.

I once used the term foot pound for torque. I found out I was wrong. I had to work at start using the term correctly. Wasn't easy. Now it is second nature.

I shall leave the use of they're, there and their for the English majors to debate.
                  Last edited by boscoe99; 12-15-2017, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    I think everyone may be bored. Slap happy or whatever it may be called.

Contract time is the worst time of year in the beverage business.
                    What is contract time?

Comment

Not silly at all. All part of being better educated.

It is my understanding that there are some carburetors that use an air adjusting screw to alter the amount of air that is allowed into the bleed air system of a carburetor. In that system, more air can mean a less rich mixture and less air can mean a richer mixture. Some Yam carburetors may operate in this manner. I don't know of any but they might.

The OP's 90 HP two stroke does not use an air adjustment screw. It uses a fuel adjustment screw. Called a pilot screw. Just as if he referred to his choke mechanism as being a Primestart would be incorrect, so too is it incorrect to refer to his specific motor as having an air adjustment screw.

From a technical standpoint, torque is expressed in pound feet. Not foot pounds. Horsepower uses the term foot pounds which might be part of the reason for the misuse of the torque term.

Since it is just as easy to say the torque term correctly (pound feet) as it is to say the term incorrectly, why not use the correct term?

Folks (myself included) can be funny. If someone refers to someone else by the wrong name, they are generally embarrassed when they find out they have been calling a guy named Bob, Bill. They will apologize and make an effort to start calling Bob, Bob. But when folks find out they have been calling an object or a term by the wrong name they are highly resistant to correcting themselves. Why is that? Human nature I suppose.

I once used the term foot pound for torque. I found out I was wrong. I had to work at start using the term correctly. Wasn't easy. Now it is second nature.

I shall leave the use of they're, there and their for the English majors to debate.
                      As for:
                      "there" is a location..
                      "they're" is short for "there are".
                      "their" is for persons..

I'm not an English major, simply correct use of the English language..

**Now, the OP, simply wanted to know what to set his carb screws at**

As RB would post, holy .......

I'LL REPEAT, (AGAIN), I KNOW ABOUT FT LBS, LBS PER FOOT, IT'S BEEN DISCUSSED MANY TIMES HERE. I BROUGHT IT UP TO MAKE A POINT. But alas, you keep bringing it up. The regulars know and yes, your correct- no one's arguing that (referring to torque).

Now that the horse has been beaten to a pulp many times in this thread, what kind of horse was it???

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-15-2017, 06:04 PM.
                      Scott

Comment

What is contract time?
                        Just as Yamaha buys transoms and P&W buys airframes (read on internet), we have to pay fees to be in stores. Very basic description of a pain in the ass process.

Comment

If the manufacturer calls it one thing then everyone should call that part what they call it to keep from confusing people.

Calling something different than what it is and changing names of things with others is not the correct way to communicate properly

is their close to Yall'ses

Comment

Their refers to animate objects like people and shows possession or ownership. Youalls I think can be both more referring to multiple people but could be used in slang to show multiple peoples ownership i.e. that's youalls
                            IMHO.
                            Dennis
                            Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

I thought it was "all y'all".

Not to be confused with "all y'alls".

In context

Comment

Lol ^^^^...
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X