No announcement yet.

Why doesn't Yamaha make a salt remover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't Yamaha make a salt remover?

Big thread over at The Whole Turd on Salt Away. Apparently it is CRUCIAL to flush with this stuff.

My boat is covered in salt after running in choppy water. Seem like the fresh hose water just cuts right through it.

My wife's father and brothers were Salt-away enthusiasts, which given their general lack of understanding of science and mechanics, made me an instant skeptic.

I was also bothered that information from the manufacturer is of the snake-oil style.

Apparently it is surfactant (detergent) and some (silicone oil?) ingredient which leaves behind a slimy residue. There may be some benefit in corrosion protection.

But I don't accept the premise that "water alone does not remove all the salt from a surface".

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
      My wife's father and brothers were Salt-away enthusiasts, which given their general lack of understanding of science and mechanics, made me an instant skeptic.

I was also bothered that information from the manufacturer is of the snake-oil style.

Apparently it is surfactant (detergent) and some (silicone oil?) ingredient which leaves behind a slimy residue. There may be some benefit in corrosion protection.

But I don't accept the premise that "water alone does not remove all the salt from a surface".
      Translation: My in-laws are dumbasses.

Comment

Along these same lines, how many watermen flush their engines? I'm going to wager somewhere between 1% and none. Yet, I see them going down the creek with old Yams.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
          Along these same lines, how many watermen flush their engines? I'm going to wager somewhere between 1% and none. Yet, I see them going down the creek with old Yams.
          That's because they use them on a regular bases IMO

My old man's last engine, 1991, is clean. Can count on one hand how many times he flushed it out. 90% clean salt water use, but regular use.

Comment

DUDE! You're killing me!

I seldom have fresh water in the winter months, so me yacht-t-t-t-t-t-t often gets put away salty. Work with me here.

Damn.
            Last edited by oldmako69; 12-15-2017, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Oldmako- more importantly, have you eaten at this Handsome Biscuit joint that apparently has several locations round yo crib?

Comment

Negative. Unaware of said establishment. But I am quite fond of munching muffin. So, learn me all about it. The motors can wait.

Comment

Negative. Unaware of said establishment. But I am quite fond of munching muffin. So, learn me all about it. The motors can wait.
                  OK i need a better expanation of this muffin you speak of.
                  Muffin is not a biscuit.

Comment

Large squishier types = no muffin.
                    Skinny athletic types = muffin.

Last edited by oldmako69; 12-14-2017, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Proper progression....google address. Take your muffin(one in pic) to the biscuit joint. Sample, have a few Bloody Marys, let me (us) know if the food might be...

Unless you may be vegetarian or whatever?
                      Last edited by pstephens46; 12-14-2017, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Vegetarian? Good God Man! A proper breakfast consists of ovum AND porcine protein. Whether that consists of processed pig parts or those thinly sliced and smoked it matters not. When in doubt, choose both. Or all three if ones' waistline allows and the same is suffering from a conundrum of choice.

Simply pile the goods high and slosh with potent potables (Bloodies or Mimosas, depending on your acerbic or citrus needs) for maximal enjoyment. But please, appropriate and serious music for the repast. It aids in the digestive assimilation processes.

And, a hot waitrex for the stimulation of ones' gustation.

Last edited by oldmako69; 12-15-2017, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X