701 side mount won't shift into reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 701 side mount won't shift into reverse

On my 6hp kicker (1997) the control box will go back in reverse but the cable won't push far enough to put the motor in reverse. If I go back to motor and pull on the cable it moves 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch more and goes into reverse. I sprayed lubricant in the cable and worked it back and forth didn't help. I can't adjust the yoke on the end of the cable anymore or it will fall apart. I don't see any adjustment on the control box either. Is it time for new cables?
    Thanks Reddog

I have seen cables with too much slack, maybe that is the problem

Comment

I don't know much about the 701 but I manually put it in reverse today on the river. It went in but then I had no throttle just an idle. Certainly you should be able to throttle up some. The control box is bottoming out on something. Guess I should take it apart.

Comment

Originally posted by reddog2002 View Post
        The control box is bottoming out on something. Guess I should take it apart.
        Yep, sounds like something is not right in there.

You can confirm by disconnecting BOTH cables at the engine, going into reverse and adding throttle..

(Besides NOT being able to throttle up, sounds like that's the issue for the lack of reverse shifter cable travel too)
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Any updates??
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
          X