Help with pump/electric motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with pump/electric motor

I just bought an air compressor. Trying to separate the electric motor from the pump drive housing. Anyone have any good ideas as to how to remove the crank shaft from the electric motor shaft? Can't find anything for a puller to grab on to. Anyone think that the shaft might be pressed on, in which case will a slide hammer remove the shaft? Thinking that the slide hammer gets screwed onto the shaft, to pull it out, so that the crank shaft throw will come off the motor shaft?
    Help.

interesting.
    I would remove those motor mount bolts and pull from the motor end and see what happens
    perhaps the motor shaft is splined and simply slid into that "crankshaft"
    a la an outboard driveshaft
    and then there is something holding the crankshaft on the motor side
    Last edited by fairdeal; 12-03-2017, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Got to get the motor out of the counter wait.

Comment

Is this some sort of experiment?

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
          interesting.
          I would remove those motor mount bolts and pull from the motor end and see what happens
          perhaps the motor shaft is splined and simply slid into that "crankshaft"
          a la an outboard driveshaft
          and then there is something holding the crankshaft on the motor side
          I removed the four compressor mount bolts. They go all the way through the electric motor housing and are held in place with four nuts. The bolts are longer than the length of the electric motor. When I started to pull the pump housing the rotor of the electric motor was coming with it.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
            Got to get the motor out of the counter wait.
            That is what I am trying to do. Separate the counter weight from the electric motor drive shaft. It appears to be a press fit but no way to grab the counter weight and pull it from the shaft.

So that the pump housing can be removed from the motor.

Dammit. Nothing is ever simple. Thought this would be easier than it is.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
              Is this some sort of experiment?
              Just playing mostly. Making an outboard motor electrical generation system simulator.

Electric motor will drive a permanent magnet generator. Generator will feed AC voltage to a Yamaha dual output (isolator lead) rectifier/regulator. R/R will be connected to a battery of course.

The motor in question is from a 6 HP air compressor. 240 volts. I tried using my 2 HP air compressor motor running on 120 volts but it does not have the muscle to turn the generator. Stalls the motor out. Surprised me actually. I was thinking that 2 HP would have been more than enough.

Comment

Soak it and use a puller.

Comment

Because the piece sticking straight out has flats on it, I kind of suspect it screws out, then there will be some sort of key, or possibly even the threaded part stops other piece from turning on the shaft and retains it at the same time, saw a 2 stroke mower that used an almost identical system using only "half" a crankshaft.

Comment

When my turbo entabulator was acting up, I just used one of these.....

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
                      Soak it and use a puller.
                      Nothing for a puller to grab on to. There is virtually no clearance between the aft side of the counter weight and the housing.

No set screws anywhere.

I found some You Tube videos showing counter weights that were slotted and used a screw to clamp the crank shaft in place. Alas, this one is not so simple.

I could always drill and tap the counter weight and then attach a puller to some screws that have been threaded into. Thinking is there has got to be a better way. Might go by and talk to an air compressor repair shop.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                        When my turbo entabulator was acting up, I just used one of these.....

Some things would certainly come loose. The order of the loosening might be an issue.

Comment

If you are trying to save the crank/counter balance part I would drill and tap to hook a puller to. if not saving I would drill bigger holes and split the part off the shaft. did both rods fit onto that one spot on crank? does not look big enough for both rods
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 12-03-2017, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Is the counter weight cast iron or steel?

Comment

Steel I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X