Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh so you answer his questions, but not mine

Comment

If I understand correctly, your trying to remove the armature from the crankshaft of the compressor)?

Like a gas powered generator? (separating both units from each other).

If so, the shaft is TAPERED. If there is a nut / bolt hold the end on, obviously remove it.

Then, rap the armature with a rubber mallet, (around different spots but on solid metal). It'll pop off with 2-3 wacks..

Had to to the same thing to an engine and generator I worked on (no place for a puller(and that was a 10 HP, 6500 watt generator

Yes Virginia, it's that simple....

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-03-2017, 06:08 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        If you are trying to save the crank/counter balance part I would drill and tap to hook a puller to. if not saving I would drill bigger holes and split the part off the shaft. did both rods fit onto that one spot on crank? does not look big enough for both rods
        I am not trying to save the crank shaft or the counter weight. Only want to be able to use the motor.

Both rods slide onto the crank shaft. They are only about half and inch wide and run very close together. Separated by what appears to be a stainless steel spacer.

Photos available upon request.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          If I understand correctly, your trying to remove the armature from the crankshaft?

Like a gas powered generator? (separating both units from each other).

If so, the shaft is tapered. If there is a nut / bolt hold the end on, obviously remove it.

Then, rap the armature with a rubber mallet, (around different spots but on solid metal). It'll pop off with 2-3 wacks..

Had to to the same thing to an engine and generator I worked on. Easy pezzy.

Trying to remove the components that are attached to the end of the electric motor's shaft. What we are calling a counter weight and I suppose the connecting rod journal of a crank shaft.

How the journal is attached to the counter weight and how the counter weight is attached to the electric motor shaft are the questions I suppose. I am guessing they are press fit but that is all that it is, a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

How the journal is attached to the counter weight and how the counter weight is attached to the electric motor shaft are the questions I suppose. I am guessing they are press fit but that is all that it is, a guess.
            It's a simple tapered fit. Too simple for the factory to press it and not necessary.

Literally smack on armature (rubber mallet), it'll pop right off..

Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Set it in your lap and with 2 big screw drivers prying
              under the counter wait prying up have a neighbor
              with a brass punch and a hammer smack the crap
              out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
                Set it in your lap and with 2 big screw drivers prying
                under the counter wait prying up have a neighbor
                with a brass punch and a hammer smack the crap
                out of it.
                Might wear a protective cup also..

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                  Might wear a protective cup also..
                  I don't know the other day Boscoe was saying he had trouble peeing, maybe a swift swat with a slip of the hammer would break apart any obstructions thereby opening up the tube????
                  Dennis
                  Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
                    I don't know the other day Boscoe was saying he had trouble peeing, maybe a swift swat with a slip of the hammer would break apart any obstructions thereby opening up the tube????
                    My problem is peeing too much.

I never get in the car for a trip of any length without taking a good preventative pee before departure.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                      My problem is peeing too much.

I never get in the car for a trip of any length without taking a good preventative pee before departure.
                      Me too and still had to stop twice on the trip back from Atlanta today.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                        It's a simple tapered fit. Too simple for the factory to press it and not necessary.

Literally smack on armature (rubber mallet), it'll pop right off..

did you not see the pics he posted? nothing holding the thing on the shaft, sits flush with end of shaft. I have a portable air compressor I am playing with right now that needs a bearing on the rotor and at least it has a bolt running thru the side of counter weight to lock it to rotor shaft. still does not move with it removed. But I will try some different things before giving up on it. his pics do not show anything holding it all together, and a 6 hp motor turning something like that with nothing holding it together I am sure it is not a just a tapered fit

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          did you not see the pics he posted? nothing holding the thing on the shaft, sits flush with end of shaft. I have a portable air compressor I am playing with right now that needs a bearing on the rotor and at least it has a bolt running thru the side of counter weight to lock it to rotor shaft. still does not move with it removed. But I will try some different things before giving up on it. his pics do not show anything holding it all together, and a 6 hp motor turning something like that with nothing holding it together I am sure it is not a just a tapered fit
                          The electric motor has a flat on the side of its rotor shaft. The crank shaft journal has a flat on it that interfaces with the rotor flat side. I was wondering if and when the journal is pressed into the counter weight it is used to lock all of the parts together. Going to borrow a slide hammer from the local auto store tomorrow and see if the journal will pull out freely.

I am now thinking I don't want to damage anything getting the motor separated from the pump housing. Because if the motor won't serve my purpose I will put it all back together and sell the air compressor for what I can get. Don't need another air compressor. I just need a darn 5/6 HP electric motor. Like many projects mine has gone over budget and over schedule.

Comment

Thanks to the inner web I found a parts diagram.

I see nothing holding the parts together.

Comment

Break out the hammer and beat it off! Why haven't you taken those four bolts out of the cover that is under where the pistons go? Would the whole thing not start to come apart then?
                              Last edited by dray0151; 12-03-2017, 08:53 PM.
                              Dennis
                              Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
                                Break out the hammer and beat it off! Why haven't you taken those four bolts out of the cover that is under where the pistons go? Would the whole thing not start to come apart then?
                                I have removed the four bolts. The pump housing is sandwiched between the crank journal/counter weight and the rotor of the electric motor. I can remove the housing with the rotor but I am still faced with the removal of the counter weight/journal from the rotor, so as to remove the pump housing.

I don't want to start beating on stuff that might need to be reused later.

Comment

Working...
                                X