No announcement yet.

Smart meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Communication over power lines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication Not Chicken little just saying a lot more things are possible than I know how to accomplish but people do and have for years. Again there is NO privacy anywhere anymore. I cover up the camera lens on my PC because I do not use it and do not what anyone hacking in.
    Dennis
    Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

I remember some discussion of using the power grid for network services. I don't know the details or logistics.

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
        Did any of you guys look at the Wikileaks releases on the CIA trove of software where they can infect your PC and keep it on after you turn it off and you wont know they are there. That allows them to hear and see if it has a camera without anyone's knowledge and make you think it was someone from China? I am sure others can invade your thermostat, your security system with cameras and your fridge that you can access over your I-phone. Think about all the possibilities today, if there is a computer chip in anything it is accessible to others. There is no privacy anymore anywhere. Does your phone go with you to the restroom if you are out somewhere? Think about that one.
        Spot on.
        I worry whether the human race can function with total lack of privacy. The future looks like absolutely everything will be on camera, every personal detail collected.
        The obvious and not so obvious, do those gadgets trendy people and sportsmen wear on the wrists that monitor pulse rate, blood pressure, temperature, the steps you take, whether you are running or walking, how far you have travelled, GPS coordinates etc. are being watched by others thru your iPhone?

Comment

Someone probably even knows your favorite fishing spot via your GPS on your fish finder!!!
          Dennis

Comment

I have a hand held someone gave me when I retired and have marked a few spots so I can fire it up and find my way in the dark or fog in case I cannot see to get some where, but It has not been fire up in a year or 2. I guess they are pissed off that I do not let them spy on me all of the time because of my lack of use of modern junk
            Last edited by 99yam40; 12-03-2017, 10:54 PM.

Comment

That chip in there may well be working whether or not you have it on! Thank you CIA. I just simply don't trust anyone, not that I do anything illegal but I just assume everyone is at some point watched just simply because you cross over one of their wavelengths.
              Dennis

Comment

Privacy is something cherished and as far as I know still a word in the dictionary.
                Nothing to hide is in the eye of the beholder.
                Would you tell everyone everything? About that nasty boil on your bum, your bowel movements, your wife how much money you have got, that you ran over your neighbours cat.
                Lots of things are legal, but surely we all break the law many times everyday!
                If everything is observed, recorded, and we were made accountable for everything, I don't believe society can function. We will all be bankrupt thru fines and trickery and probably in jail. And that won't work, we need people to have some money, and we need them to work.

Comment

I guess I need to check to see if they have caused the batteries to run down while I have not had it turned on. I feel sorry that some feel that they break the laws of your land,state, city many times a day. I do not see that happening in my life.
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 12-03-2017, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    I guess I need to check to see if they have caused the batteries to run down while I have not had it turned on. I feel sorry that some feel that they break the laws of your land,state, city many times a day. I do not see that happening in my life.
                    I didn't mean to paint where I live as lawless.

Do you stick to the speed limit? It is impossible to do here, as we have many limits, we have at least 9, often changed and not at all obvious. We get booked at 1 kmph over, zero tolerance. It is a revenue thing.
                    You might say travel slower, at 40 kmph in higher speed zones we have laws against obstructing traffic.
                    Generally I guess the more laws there are the possibility of breaking them becomes greater.
                    Just one example.

Comment

being older and retired, I do not find myself in a big hurry anymore. I stick to the speed limits and stop signs / lights last ticket I remember getting was when they dropped the speed limit from 70 to 55 many years ago due to the gas shortages. still do not believe there was a shortage, just a way to drive up the prices.

Comment

no worries.
                        now that Chinese satellite that is going to fall out of orbit in jan 2018 may be a worry.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                          I didn't mean to paint where I live as lawless.

Do you stick to the speed limit? It is impossible to do here, as we have many limits, we have at least 9, often changed and not at all obvious. We get booked at 1 kmph over, zero tolerance. It is a revenue thing.
                          You might say travel slower, at 40 kmph in higher speed zones we have laws against obstructing traffic.
                          Generally I guess the more laws there are the possibility of breaking them becomes greater.
                          Just one example.
                          Agreed. No different than the "revenuers" chasing the moonshiner. I don't have a problem with law enforcement officials. I feel for the ones that work in big cities. Pretty obvious when you constantly see the same speed traps outside some little shtsville GA town.

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
                            Communication over power lines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication Not Chicken little just saying a lot more things are possible than I know how to accomplish but people do and have for years. Again there is NO privacy anywhere anymore. I cover up the camera lens on my PC because I do not use it and do not what anyone hacking in.
                            BUT, that is describing (if I understand correctly) someone who WANTS to add that "functionality". Meaning, you need to purposefully introduce your "data" into the electrical wires to be carried throughout the house. This is nothing new as there has been "internet over power lines" for years. But, again, one would need to purposefully put their data/internet onto their power lines so they can extend the internet throughout the house without running new lines.

If one doesn't introduce their data into the electrical line, then no one can read their data.

The only reference to being able to "possibly" decipher a particular movie based on the electrical signal goes back to a 6 year old study. Any of the google hits I found touting "the electrical company can see what movie you are watching", all seem to be based on this study. And then, through the power of the internet and things being repeated over and over, some people start to believe this as fact. BUT, in the article, it stated that the Smart meter can't do it, itself. Someone needs to hack into it with snooping software. Even then, it was a long shot to be able to do it and required extensive hacking and snooping capabilities. The article also pointed out that the Smart Meter's manufacturer would be installing anti-hacking software to prevent that.

Back in the 20's and 30's people started wearing tin foil hats for protection from radio waves. Maybe we should all be doing that. I mean, if people have doing it for almost a 100 years, it must be valid.
                            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                              Agreed. No different than the "revenuers" chasing the moonshiner. I don't have a problem with law enforcement officials. I feel for the ones that work in big cities. Pretty obvious when you constantly see the same speed traps outside some little shtsville GA town.
                              I was just reading an article about prohibition and moonshiners. The bible thumpers were all for it as it would improve the morals of man. The moonshiners were all for it as it would increase the price and profits of their product. They were both for the same thing. Just different reasons of course.

I don't like the way some/many cops act (as seen on cops and Live PD) but I will be damned if I could work a job were you deal with scum and everyone lies to you each and every day. The cops seem to become so cynical that they then take it out of the good folks.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

I don't like the way some/many cops act (as seen on cops and Live PD) but I will be damned if I could work a job were you deal with scum and everyone lies to you each and every day. The cops seem to become so cynical that they then take it out of the good folks.
                                Cynical yes... Short of a wreck/burglary, etc, folks lie to you ALL the time, especially self induced contacts..

I always treated folks the way I wanted to be treated. I NEVER wrote a speeding ticket for a speed (say 10 over) which I did/do...

The younger police sometimes, the job gets you a fat head, and an ego..

To last in the field (and make a career of it) takes common sense mostly and again treat folks the way you want to be treated...

Anyway, no one wants the government spying on you of course (un-less your doing something very illegal). Seems "signals" can go thru power lines (reading above), but with mod's, add on's, etc..

I remember, maybe a year ago, a TV manufacturer, had something built into their TV that someone can spy on you thru the TV...

Interesting thread!!

Scott
                                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                                X