Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ox66 Alarm going off

Hello,
    I'm brand new to this form because I bought a boat with a Yamaha. I never owned this brand before and things are different on this brand then other engines I've owned.
    The engine is a 2002 Yamaha 250... SX 250 TURA.. hours 1274

The other day I started the engine up in the driveway after a few minutes an alarm was going off. I looked at temp guagage and it was going up. I shut engine off. I did some research on this matter and I came up with the Poppet Valve spring. I took off the valve stretched the spring and reinstalled. I started the engine and I have no alarm and after 10 minutes of running no signs of overheating and no water leaks from the poppet valve.

The other day I put the boat in the water and pushed off I started slowly push the throttle down and the Alarm went off and could not get passed 7-9 knots. I limp the boat back to the dock and back home. At no time did the temp go up and Pee flow was very good. I did some more research and it looks like the Engine went into Limp Mode.

The other day I went out to check out what's going on and when I turn the battery switch on and turn the key over the alarm is going off and the engine is not running.
    The location of the alarm is under the ignition key.

I will say I have not done anything to this engine at all... no time right now...
    Thx in advance.
    Sabotage

Not sure on your motor what all will set the alarm, but some have low oil level, overheat, low voltage,or water in fuel and most will set alarm is the key switch is turned to start with the kill switch/clip off

Comment

I have owned 4 of these engines; I do not believe there is any alarm related to low voltage, water in fuel, or kill switch, except with kill switch, if you disengage when the motor is running, that alarm will sound, but be silenced when key is turned off, and then back on.

Since you have done nothing to the engine since purchasing it, there are several things you can check with minimal effort.

T-stats
      engine mounted oil tank
      remote oil pump operation (remote tank feeding on-board tank)

If you were able to motor away from the dock and engine temp was normal when alarm sounded, then I would focus on oil related problem. I suspect your on board oil tank is below the fill line, suggesting the pump is bad, or the small in-line filter at the remote tank is clogged not allowing oil to flow to on board tank. This is where I would start. Wouldn't hurt to check/change Stats. The condition of the stats will give some indication of potential cooling problems; if they are caked with salt, then blocked cooling passages in the water jacket may need cleaning.

And, unless you know the service history on the engine, I would go through the engine and lower unit completely before any more operation.
      Last edited by jfbetz01; 12-01-2017, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Just a few minutes ago I walked outside turned the battery switch on and turned the key in the on position and the alarm went off. With the alarm going off I pulled the kill switch and alarm still going off. I then looked at the Yamaha Tach gauge (very hard to read faded out very bad), but I was able to see the water bar flashing the oil bar is reading full. I also looked at the oil tank located on the engine itself and oil tank is full.
        It's hard to work on the boat when I have my son who is seven months old by your side.
        Sabotage

Comment

Originally posted by Sabotage View Post
          I was able to see the water bar flashing
          seems if that is true you have water in the filter or that part of the system is broke but from what I understand water in fuel will sound the alarm, but only while in neutral and should not reduce RPM, but I have been wrong several times before . hold on now, maybe the water bar is not for water in fuel. maybe someone can enlighten us to exactly what the water bar means when flashing Just found out I cannot bold or even put blank lines in my posts also. apparently the bug has got me too
          Last edited by 99yam40; 12-01-2017, 03:15 PM.

Comment

About to walk to the boat again. Baby about asleep. I did check the Raco water/fuel separater the other day and drained a cup maybe more out into a glass canister and no water at all . The fuel looked and smelled as it should.
            Sabotage

Just making sure you guys understand that I'm getting the Alarm but the engine is Not Running.
            Last edited by Sabotage; 12-01-2017, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Isn't an alarm being off a good thing?

Comment

With the engine running and not running the Alarm is very loud.
                Sabotage

Comment

There is no "water in the fuel" indicator on the tach, nor an alarm for this; the gauges of this era have a temp indicator at the bottom left, and 3 bars to the right of it, all pertaining to the level of the oil. Unfortunately, I do not appear to have the ability to post an image of the gauge; nothing should be above the temp indicator, and 3 solid bars to the right should not be blinking.

Describe how your gauge appears.

Comment

Here is a pix of the gauge.
                    The three oil bars stay solid and do not blink only the bar to the far left above the water indicater.
                    Sabotage
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Sabotage; 12-01-2017, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Looks like it is a water temperature alarm, it is a thermometer symbol on a water symbol. need to troubleshoot the over temp switch/sensor and wiring I guess

Comment

1st off, I would like to say thank you to those that has taken the time to chime in on this matter.

99Yam40 I agree with you on this. Here in the next few days I will try to figure this Alarm out . Do you think I should start off with looking at the water thermostats and sensors?
                        Sabotage

Comment

Originally posted by Sabotage View Post
                          1st off, I would like to say thank you to those that has taken the time to chime in on this matter.

99Yam40 I agree with you on this. Here in the next few days I will try to figure this Alarm out . Do you think I should start off with looking at the water thermostats and sensors?
                          Sabotage
                          alarm sounding without motor running and cold, I would not start with something that would cause the motor to overheat

Comment

Any suggestions?
                            Sabotage

Comment

Well, it seems logical that if the engine is cold/off, an overheat alarm is not from excessive heat. I would check all your wiring that terminates into the key panel, especially the run from your tach. There should be a black, Blue, yellow, red and green wire from the tach to the key box harness. Not sure if a loose connection would trigger an alarm or not. but you need to continue eliminating potential causes.

Comment

Working...
                              X