No announcement yet.

Ox66 Alarm going off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disconnect the thermoswitches, there are two, one in each cylinder head, then turn the key on. The wires to the switches are pink and black.

If the alarm sounds then it is possible that a pink wire has chaffed to the block and is setting a false alarm.

If the alarm does not sound, plug the thermoswitches back into their electrical connectors, one at a time. If one cold thermoswitch sets the alarm then that switch is defective.

Comment

I will try that today and post results. Thx
      Sabotage

Comment

the amount of BS on this thread is astounding.
        mostly from a clueless one.
        the alarm at key on engine off can be from a low oil or a shorted or defective overtemp switch.
        if equipped with the OPTIONAL water detect that can do it do.
        low voltage at the ECU can do it.
        once running the alarm can be triggered by low voltage,low engine oil tank level low,overtemp,water detect,the engine oil tank is disconnected.
        depending on the rigging most will display a visual indicate.
        I have no clue what guage package is installed.
        there are no alarms for the oil pump nor the remote tank level.
        there is a visual indicate for low remote level if the correct gauges are in place.
        if the stop lanyard is removed or the white kill circuit wire is shorted to ground and the engine is cranked you get an alarm.
        no alarms for anything fuel related other than an OPTIONAL water detect that goes into the racor looking filter bowl.

Comment

Rodbolt he has said the temp alarm light is showing when key on motor off right now, but who knows what was happening when motor was running at 1st. well the site will not allow me to copy and paste his pic like it use to so you could see it

Comment

Originally posted by Sabotage View Post
            Here is a pix of the gauge.
            The three oil bars stay solid and do not blink only the bar to the far left above the water indicater.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
              the alarm at key on engine off can be from a low oil or a shorted or defective overtemp switch.
              once running the alarm can be triggered by low voltage,low engine oil tank level low,overtemp,water detect,the engine oil tank is disconnected.
              there is a visual indicate for low remote level if the correct gauges are in place.
              if the stop lanyard is removed or the white kill circuit wire is shorted to ground and the engine is cranked you get an alarm.
              no alarms for anything fuel related other than an OPTIONAL water detect that goes into the racor looking filter bowl.
              Most, not all, of what you say is correct.

We are using the process of elimination. Given the fact that the over temperature icon is flashing I would start there. Test the over temp warning system first and if it proves sound then move on from there.

Oil status bars are indicating the system is normal.

OP is not reporting that the alarm is activated only when attempting to crank the motor. Says all he has to do is to turn the key on.

The optional water detection switch on a Racor will not sound the alarm. It will cause the water in fuel warning on an FMM to flash. OP has made no mention of having a fuel flow meter installed. He specifically mentioned the tachometer is flashing.

If it were low voltage then all three oil bars are supposed to flash together.

It can be difficult to trouble shoot in person. Harder to do via the inner web or television. See Dr. Bill Frist for an example.
              Last edited by boscoe99; 12-02-2017, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Still have not had time to check the sensors. When the engine is running in the driveway the alarm is sounding the bar is flashing in that one gauge and the main temp gauge is showing normal temp...a strong water pee flow that is not hot.

Comment

Here are my findings...unplugged the A bank (Port side) and found a exsposed wire. See pix. Next , unplugged the B bank and unwrapped the electrical tape around the two wires and found a wire the has been cut and reconnected in a very crappy way. See pic. With both sensors undone and the power turned on and key turned on I have no alarm and no Flashing Bar...bar is gone. I then temporarily reconnected the cut wires and plugged everything back and as of now I have no Alarm going off and no Flashing Bar.
                  Once I get everything back to the way it should be and I test run I will update this post.
                  Thx Mark
                  Sabotage
                  Attached Files

Comment

Other pix.
                    Sabotage
                    Attached Files

Comment

There we go Boscoe.

Comment

see?
                        the ECU has no way of knowing if the switch closed or the pink wire shorted to ground. all the ECU saw was a ground path.
                        back in the day when I wired the optional water detect if you had an FMM you got an audible,a visual AND RPM reduction.
                        if no FMM you got an audible and RPM reduction and if equipped an overtemp icon.
                        so EVERYTHING I posted was and is correct. ya just gotta know how to wire it and know when and how to use the diode kit.
                        I have been rigging these things over 20 years.
                        now it is worse with this NEMA backbone stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabotage View Post
                          Here are my findings...unplugged the A bank (Port side) and found a exsposed wire. See pix. Next , unplugged the B bank and unwrapped the electrical tape around the two wires and found a wire the has been cut and reconnected in a very crappy way. See pic. With both sensors undone and the power turned on and key turned on I have no alarm and no Flashing Bar...bar is gone. I then temporarily reconnected the cut wires and plugged everything back and as of now I have no Alarm going off and no Flashing Bar.
                          Once I get everything back to the way it should be and I test run I will update this post.
                          Thx Mark
                          Sabotage
                          Glad you found your problem and got some very good help from the fine fellows on this forum.

From the looks of the wiring in your pictures you may want to spend some time inspecting the rest of the harness. I can see crimp slices with no heat shink and a corroded ground on the block. Do a little clean up of the crappy work of the previous owners and save yourself from future headaches...

Best of Luck

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post

Just so I can be more enlightened, can you point out the BS in the thread...

Comment

Originally posted by jfbetz01 View Post
                              Just so I can be more enlightened, can you point out the BS in the thread...
                              Sometimes some of us get a little upset, maybe supper wasn't good or late or maybe our girlfriend told us where to go or who knows what. Usually best to just let it go next time responses are usually very helpful and responsive.
                              Dennis
                              Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Well I'm up this morning and will be doing a test run here in a few minutes. I will post the findings.
                                Sabotage

Comment

Working...
                                X