Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-carbonizing Engine

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to clean out their outboards using a decarbonize spray(either 2 or 4 strokes).

Normally when I service my car, I run a can of "Subaru Upper engine cleaner" through the air intake while the car is running. It tends to clean out the engine and helps idle and provides a slight increase of power. My brother is a mechanic from Subaru and they use these products when servicing most cars.

I was thinking of using it in my next service for my 2 stroke 40 HP, but wanted to see what others thought before attempting.

Thanks.

Hell yes.

Especially on a two stroke. I considered that normal maint when I used to run a two stroke.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation. I haven't heard of anyone adding this to their maintenance service, so it's good to know that it should be incorporated into the process.

Comment

Yamaha's Ringfree can be used at a "carbon removal dosage" (2 ounces/gallon of gas) while the motor is running. I've always used Ringfree at the "carbon preventive dosage" (1 ounce/10 gallons of gas) and it works well....for me anyway. My motor is a 1999 C90 2 stroke premix and shining a light into the spark plug holes, the piston crowns are shiny clean. There are other carbon prevention/removal products and methods that you may read about that may work also....

Comment

This is Yamaha's Commercial cleaner (for badly carboned up engines-major leak down, etc);

ACC-CLEAN-D1-00 INTERNAL ENG CLNR 1Q

Evinrude (2 strokes) used to make a spray you sprayed down the intake while running and then let it SOAK for sometime. Then you ran the engine...

I suspect someone still makes a similar product... Found this with a quick search, by CRC: https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Marine-Tu...ot_top?ie=UTF8

As noted above by Robert, regular use of RF will help clean the top end clean as well.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-01-2017, 08:22 AM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by SlayerT123 View Post
            Thanks for the confirmation. I haven't heard of anyone adding this to their maintenance service, so it's good to know that it should be incorporated into the process.
            I've done this, but have found since I use Ring Free religiously, I don't need to do it on a regular basis. Not to say that I wouldn't still do it, though. BUT - it's definitely been done by many and is nothing new to the marine world. Search around on this site - you should be able to find past threads about it.
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Plus one ^^^

I believe it's in my owners manual as well to use the RF...

Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

about the only snake oil I use that I have found actually works is Yamaha YIES.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  about the only snake oil I use that I have found actually works is Yamaha YIES.
                  Rodbolt But is YIES not only available to dealers? On the SIM website some time ago it was stated that Yamaha no longer recommended the shock treatment, but that was on an old thread.
                  Dennis
                  Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

YIEC is the potent stuff that only dealers are supposed to use. Special equipment is normally used to inject X amount into the motor. While the user is wearing a hazmat suit I suppose.

Comment

I used seafoam in gasoline on my old oil and gas guzzling Mercury EFI motor. Referred to as the "Dunk" treatment. It seemed to work insofar as after the first application the motor would smoke like hell. Second application, not so much smoke. Third or maybe fourth application the motor would no longer smoke after being treated with the special sauce.

Inference is that carbon was being burned off the first, second or third time. When no more smoke appeared the conclusion was that all of the combustion chamber deposits had been removed. Did it really work? Don't know. Made me feel good however.

Comment

I had a lot of very black goo run out the prop hub/exhaust when I did the seafoam trick on my C40, after running hard out in the water and parking back in driveway. does not come off the concrete, just had to wear off. If I do it again I will place something under the lower unit to catch it
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 12-02-2017, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Mercury power tune is good too. Follow
                          directions to the T.

Comment

You can buy YIEC right here for $42; 3x cost of sea foam. Must be better

Comment

That's what I saw but just unsure about using it as a non experienced backyardian. Didn't want to spend $42 and not know for sure that I can actually use it correctly as some have said their is equipment to inject the correct amount into the engine. Of course I or no one else wants to take a chance on tearing up an engine not knowing for sure how to use something like this. Don't know what the instructions are for it's use. Thought I would rather use the RF plus treatment 2oz per gallon if I think my engine needs it. That is also why I mentioned that on the SIM site they were sometime ago saying Yamaha had said a 4stroke didn't need the treatment???? Didn't know what others thought about that.
                              Dennis
                              Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Working...
                              X