Fairdeal Hurricane Recovery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairdeal Hurricane Recovery?

Have you been able to get/make the repairs? Siding etc.

What about the neighbor's sunken boat? Replaced?
    Last edited by pstephens46; 12-01-2017, 12:13 PM.

still waiting for my vinyl soffit - HD just moved the delivery date out again

Don't know where my snowbird neighbors are at with their Everglades - SeaTow dragged it away

The big excitement was the 20 man, half-day project of pulling the sunken sailboat out of the canal;
    enormous crane, huge boat trailer, 3 work boats, hard-hat diver, and an EPA observer.

Newspaper article today:

The U.S. Coast Guard said Monday that the number of Florida Keys vessels damaged or destroyed in Hurricane Irma that have been removed from Monroe County waters had hit 1,434.
    Overall in Florida, 1,968 boats had been removed from waters statewide as of Monday, the Guard says.

That's just "abandoned/adrift" boats removed by the gov't -
    doesn't include boats like my neighbor's Everglades that the owners handled themselves...

Comment

Amazing stuff. Assume insurance is paying for that...

Comment

Do you still have a Radio Shack down the road? Ours all closed. I miss them. They were mostly useless but did have some stuff I needed from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          Amazing stuff. Assume insurance is paying for that...
          Everyone has insurance. They might be self insured. Now if they are self insured without the means to pay themselves a claim, that can be tough. Even if they have the means, it can be distressing.

Now having external insurance means that ultimately you, me and millions of other fellows behind the tree will be be paying the claim in the form of increased premiums. As long as they don't go bankrupt, insurance companies can never lose. They will get their money back over time. And if their profits rise too high they can buy another builder or more corporate jets to get their expenses up so as to reduce their profits. If the insurance authorities are watching. Or care.

Colour me cynical.

Comment

Insurance as opposed to government funding. Perhaps FEMA funds some of it. There are many derelicts around Savannah. Some on bottom, some on the way. No real plan or funding to deal with them. I haven't heard of any owners held accountable either.

Comment

What happens to all these boats? Do they fix them, auction them off?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                Do you still have a Radio Shack down the road? Ours all closed. I miss them. They were mostly useless but did have some stuff I needed from time to time.
                Very sad / bad luck.
                The Radio Shack was alongside the Winn Dixie market;
                some bizarre aerodynamic effect due to the adjacent higher roof?

minor to no damage on both sides - but directly over the Radio Shack store, metal roof peeled back like a sardine can

total loss inside; can't imagine they are going to reopen

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                  Insurance as opposed to government funding. Perhaps FEMA funds some of it. .
                  There is NO insurance, flood/house, etc that covers seawall damage. FEMA, not a nickle. Can you say second mortgage if you don't have the $?

Of course in the Keys, the walls are mostly coral, not concrete.

That sailboat removal was NOT cheap either...

To remove a sunken vessel (abandoned) up here, literally takes years. Perhaps notifications and who's paying for it...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-03-2017, 08:19 AM.
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

There is a race track near Houston Tx that had 30K autos parked in it from the Harvey floods and I saw a place outside Columbus Tx that use to be a storage place for pipe for pipe lines going in with thousands of autos sitting there too. I guess the insurance companies store the flooded car/trucks until they can get rid of them some how. lots of good wheels and tires, not sure about the rest of the parts

Comment

Working...
                    X