Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer or Topcoat for Touchup Paint?

Hi,

I bought a Bay Kit and need to paint it. I picked up the OEM Yamalube Touch Up Spray Paint can in 4D. The dealer said no primer or top coat is needed.

I wanted to double check and it would seem like some sort of primer, be it corrosion resistant or not, would be needed. The bay kit housing is bare aluminum at this point.

Thanks

question, what is a bay kit?

Comment

It is a extension kit from Bay MNF.
      You need zinc chromate primer.

Comment

If you want the paint to stick, you need to use a primer.

If you want the primer to stick you need to alodine the bare aluminum.

I suspect that to get the finish to match you will need to use a clear top coat of the gray top coat.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          question, what is a bay kit?
          Yamaha & Mariner | Bay Manufacturing

Bay MFG makes kits to extend the shaft length of certain Yams.

Comment

Alodine was my first gut thought. However, this is freshwater only use so I was hoping some sort of more accessible spray primer could work instead.

Comment

OK, did not know an extender was called a bay kit

Comment

Originally posted by mitch184 View Post
                Hi,

I bought a Bay Kit and need to paint it. I picked up the OEM Yamalube Touch Up Spray Paint can in 4D. The dealer said no primer or top coat is needed.

I wanted to double check and it would seem like some sort of primer, be it corrosion resistant or not, would be needed. The bay kit housing is bare aluminum at this point.

Thanks
                primer is a must...zinc phosphate is more accessible, chromate is better, but getting hard to find, especially in spray can. you can find quarts for paint guns. whatever you use, apply 2-3 coats. If you want a smooth finish, wet sand it with 400 grit. Let it dry; 3 coats of color, and 3 coats of catalyzed (2-part) clear. If you buy the regular single stage clear spray can stuff, it will not last more than a year or 2 before discoloring, and eventually fail. You can get a 2 part catalyzed clear in a spray can from Eastwood. Button on the bottom activates the hardener.

Eastwood's 2K AeroSpray™ High-Gloss & Matte Clear

Comment

Working...
                X