Time for a change???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a change???

Long time loyal Yamaha 2 stroke owner considering the 2017 F15 for my 10ft RIB.
    Not real thrilled with gaining 25# of weight but over the years they seem to be getting lighter (111#)

Looking over the specs it appears to be identical to the F20, my feeling is get the most out of the platform if the weight is unchanged.

My RIB is rated for 15hp, to avoid any insurance complications would be ideal to convert.

Have looked at parts breakdowns and spoke with several dealers, have not got a definitive answer yet on the details if any what it would take to get the extra 5 ponies under the cowl.

Any thoughts or comments welcome, access to better current parts breakdowns or links to previous posts much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Not really sure what you are asking about.

If you buy and install an F20, you have over rated the motor for the boat.

If you buy and install an F15, and convert it to 20 HP, you have over rated the motor for the boat.

Or are you simply looking to save some money by buying the F15 and converting it to an F20? At the retail level the F20SMHA is $425 more than the F15SMHA. Less probably at the street pricing level. Only $300 bucks different from boats.net

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpaguy View Post
      Any thoughts or comments welcome, access to better current parts breakdowns or links to previous posts much appreciated.
      You can go to the Yamaha parts catalog at www.yamahaoutboards.com

Open the parts book for what ever F15 model you are interested in.

Open the parts book for what ever F20 model you are interested in.

Compare the parts used on the F15 with the F20. What ever is used on the F20, that is different from the similar part used on the F15, can be purchased and installed on the F15 to convert it to the equivalent of an F20. Remove the F15 part, toss it in the dust bin, and then install the F20 part.

Comment

they need to make nitrus kits for outboards to help these people that are not happy with the HP they buy. no worrying about shifting gears with the switch in the on position as long as you put in gear before flipping the switch

Comment

The engine makers need to be clever and offer "upgrade" kits. Everyone seems to want more HP than what they paid for originally. Let them pay a bit more and get it after the fact.

It is win win situation. Customer thinks he got one over on the engine maker and the engine maker knows he got one over on the customer.

Comment

I believe the poster is concerned about having a F20 decal on the cowling of the engine due to insurance reasons. An F15 upgraded to a 20 would be undercover.

Don't know about a 20hp on a 10 foot boat...

Comment

Years ago I had a 12' aluminum flat-bottom with a 2 stroke 15. I was scarry with only 1 person in it. needed a second person in the front to keep it down when you hit the gas

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                I believe the poster is concerned about having a F20 decal on the cowling of the engine due to insurance reasons. An F15 upgraded to a 20 would be undercover.

Don't know about a 20hp on a 10 foot boat...
                That is why they make decal remover.

What is going on in Canada these days? Has winter set in? 65* here today. More of the same domani.

Comment

It was 62 and very foggy this morning here in Tx. headed fishing anyway caught 5 keeper reds and one undersized. had to turn 2 keepers loose, we can only keep 3 20" to 28" was 78 I think when driving back to the house

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    It was 62 and very foggy this morning here in Tx. headed fishing anyway caught 5 keeper reds and one undersized. had to turn 2 keepers loose, we can only keep 3 20" to 28" was 78 I think when driving back to the house
                    Good day. Water temp still up? Good fighters. I use very light tackle.

Gotten lazy with my reds. Grill them on the half shell. Nobody complains....

Comment

I blacken or fry most of the time, but when I grill on the 1/2 shell I still fillet of the skin(shell) and season both sides before putting back on the shell on grill. Water temp is still 68 I think maybe warmer in the bay. I do not measure because I do not run a bottom machine in the shallow water I fish
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 11-29-2017, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        That is why they make decal remover.

What is going on in Canada these days? Has winter set in? 65* here today. More of the same domani.
                        Snowblower ready to go, started first pull, like it should. Only a few flurries yet..to warm yet for the snow to stay.

Comment

Lucky guys; wind straight from the north pole last few days so well below freezing; sleet and freezing rain today; south West Wales is the same latitude as Montreal but the the Gulf Stream usually keeps us warm, if wet.....

Comment

15hp 4 stroke?

Took a look at brand new 2017 F15 in person and it was physically a lot bigger overall than I imagined!

Salesperson doubted I could tell the performance difference between it and a F20 on the water.

The engine cowling and controls are a 1/3 larger than my 2 stroke.....might be a clearence issue with my weaver leaver davit system.

The price was right, $2375.00, end of year special

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpaguy View Post
                              Took a look at brand new 2017 F15 in person and it was physically a lot bigger overall than I imagined!

Salesperson doubted I could tell the performance difference between it and a F20 on the water.

The engine cowling and controls are a 1/3 larger than my 2 stroke.....might be a clearence issue with my weaver leaver davit system.

The price was right, $2375.00, end of year special
                              Was right? Did you buy it?

Comment

Working...
                              X