Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha 60 HP 2 Stroke No power until warm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yamaha 60 HP 2 Stroke No power until warm

    I have a 97 yamaha 60 2 stroke and it runs great once warmed up, but when I start it cold it runs rough, has no power, and smokes pretty bad. Once warmed up (about 10-15 min of idling) it runs like a top.

    Compression is good on all 3 cylinders, spark plugs are new and gapped correctly. If I pull off the plug wires one by one while it's having the issues, they all make a change in rpm besides the bottom plug so I'm assuming it's not getting spark. or maybe the bottom carb is dumping too much fuel and flooding bottom cyl? Any Suggestions?

    Also, not sure is related, but it takes longer to regain full power in colder weather.
    Last edited by fg2_matt; 11-27-2017, 04:56 PM.

  • #2
    Maybe a bad fuel pump diaphragm or maybe an issue with the Primestart....is that red plastic lever in the normal/automatic position?

    Comment


    • #3
      It would help to have your model #..

      This 1997 60HP has butterfly choke plates:
      1997 C60TLRV Yamaha Outboard CARBURETOR Diagram and Parts So as long as the plate closes, you do have choke. As it runs good once warm, I strongly suspect an ignition problem...

      A spark tester (can be purchased for cheap) should be put in-line for that
      cylinder (in-between plug and wire) and see IF you have spark to the plug (when not running correctly).

      * You can even pull the plugS, ground them all and crank the engine checking for spark (we don't want it to start while testing).

      You can also pull the spark plug (again, while it's acting up-just run, but still cold) to see if it's soaked with fuel (compare to the others).
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204 CC, 2006 F150 TXR

      Comment


      • #4
        even a timing light should show if there is spark going to that 3rd plug. I am with Robert on fuel pump possibly leaking and causing #3 cylinder to be too rich so it is not burning the fuel properly

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          I am with Robert on fuel pump possibly leaking and causing #3 cylinder to be too rich so it is not burning the fuel properly
          Only one problem with that, it runs good once warm... If that fuel diaphragm is leaking, it should run rich all the time..

          Once warm, there's NO running issues..

          .
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204 CC, 2006 F150 TXR

          Comment


          • #6
            I will check the spark tonight with a tester, but as for the fuel pump. I replaced it with a brand new yamaha assembly about a month ago thinking that was the problem and no change. As for the model # of the engine-unfortunately, the number plague on the motor has worn off and I cant make out the model number any more. Is there another place on the engine that I can get the model # from? I know is has a black manual choke lever on the engine itself, but I also have the push-in key type choke.
            Last edited by fg2_matt; 11-27-2017, 06:06 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              The model identity and engine serial number is on a decal that is affixed to the left clamp bracket. Like is seen here
              https://www.google.com/search?q=yama...w=1229&bih=588

              If the data plate is worn/missing look at the carburetors for some casting marks. What are they?

              Finally, look at the side of the block near the starter motor, for the alternate serial number. What is it? Like this one here.
              https://www.google.com/search?q=yama...sYbQYQjg6m3DM:
              Last edited by boscoe99; 11-27-2017, 06:22 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Lastly, please include ALL the things done to it (ie the fuel pump), makes diagnosis a lot easier for all of us..

                .
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204 CC, 2006 F150 TXR

                Comment


                • #9
                  So what I have done so far to try to fix the problem is New Spark Plugs, New Ignition Coil, New Fuel Pump, New Fuel Separator, New Primer Bulb. All Yamaha genuine parts. I did not get a chance to check spark last night but will try to do that tonight.

                  These are the only markings I could find on my engine. Hopefully one of these will reveal what the model number is for my motor. Thanks again everyone.







                  Last edited by fg2_matt; 11-28-2017, 05:32 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Slightly off topic, but in your first pic, you have some visible corrosion with that heavy red wire that should be addressed.

                    Probably not the current issue with your engine but will be an issue if ignored..


                    **ODD, your pic's showed a minute ago, then went away!!!!


                    .
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204 CC, 2006 F150 TXR

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Cold is relative. Where are you located?

                      Photobucket no longer works unless one is willing to pay some bucks. I use tinypic.com

                      What I find strange is the tinypic is a Photobucket company.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        Cold is relative. Where are you located?

                        Photobucket no longer works unless one is willing to pay some bucks. I use tinypic.com

                        What I find strange is the tinypic is a Photobucket company.
                        I'm in Florida, but I said colder not cold lol. Colder meaning when the water temp is 85 degrees it starts running right quicker than say when the water temp is 70 degrees.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                          Slightly off topic, but in your first pic, you have some visible corrosion with that heavy red wire that should be addressed.

                          Probably not the current issue with your engine but will be an issue if ignored..


                          **ODD, your pic's showed a minute ago, then went away!!!!


                          .
                          Yes, I'm going to fix that this weekend and grease it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by fg2_matt View Post
                            I will check the spark tonight with a tester, but as for the fuel pump. I replaced it with a brand new yamaha assembly about a month ago thinking that was the problem and no change. As for the model # of the engine-unfortunately, the number plague on the motor has worn off and I cant make out the model number any more. Is there another place on the engine that I can get the model # from? I know is has a black manual choke lever on the engine itself, but I also have the push-in key type choke.
                            Looks to be a C60TLRV. V indicates a 1997 model year motor.

                            The C60TLRV uses a 6H3 prefix starter motor which is shown in one of your photos. Another photo shows a 6H2 prefix CDI (-10 configuration) which is also used on a C60 model.

                            The C60 uses a choke for cold start fuel enrichment. Does the solenoid work? That is, when the key is pressed in does the solenoid click and retract the pull wire? Is the pull wire connected to the carburetor choke linkage? An O ring holds it in place. That O ring is known to fail with the passage of time. On a 20 year old motor the original O ring would long since have been toast.

                            Is the pull-to-choke knob connected to the carburetors? Does it close the choke plate when it is pulled out?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              ^^^^ Part #39: 1997 C60TLRV Yamaha Outboard ELECTRICAL 1 Diagram and Parts

                              Did you get to check spark on that suspect cylinder?


                              .
                              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-28-2017, 10:52 PM.
                              Scott
                              1997 Angler 204 CC, 2006 F150 TXR

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X