Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha f150 balancer id.

Hi All,
    Is there a way to check which balancer is currently in an F150 without dissembling the engine? Can the part number be identified?

Thank you,
    TMC

No it can't be identified. There are no markings on the case.

What year is your engine? As noted below, call Yamaha
    Headquarters and see if it was changed out under warranty. If
    so, it'll be documented...

The latest version (type 4) came out about 2012.

My 06 F150 originally had a type 2 from the factory.

Yamaha changed it out to a type 3 (under warranty). I called Yamaha headquarters to see what type # WAS installed. It was documented as a type 3. They would not do anything to upgrade to a type 4.

I've since changed it to a type 4 (as the type 3 was getting noisy).

If it sounds like a super charger (when revved), or a type 2, change it.

Old, type 3 balancer:

Type 4 balancer:

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-27-2017, 08:32 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thank you Townsend for the reply, I have contacted Yamaha today.

Comment

Balancer thought

I wonder if new balancers could be modified before installing with 2 inspection ports for the composite gears? Like maybe 1/2" threaded plugs at the areas indicated on the pic.
        Each season (or if you heard something suspicious) you could pull the plugs and check the gears.
        I have a 2008 & 2010 with 300 hrs each and no signs of failure yet (knock on wood)
        I know they are at revision #4 with the new balancers and the thoughts are they have this thing fixed at this revision but I'm sure they thought that at revision #2 & #3. I wonder if this would even cross the Yamahas engineers minds? Or maybe someone who has the guts could modify a new one before installing.
        Just a thought.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Kirk Gibson; 11-28-2017, 01:42 PM.

Comment

You don't have to modify anything to access those half moons.

They go in last (with sealer), AFTER the balancer is installed. Reason being, one installed, you spin the engine over to the marks (NOT TDC) again and make sure the balancer is in the correct spot. Then you install the half moons..

Even if you pulled them out (W/O) yanking the balancer, you won't see enough of the composite gears to make a decision.

I was told by Yamaha, the type 3 is a little noisier than the type 4 but is fine.

I believe they changed or modified an oiling hole and changed some clearances..

With that said, my engine developed a noise (with the type 3) that sounded like a dried, squeaky belt at idle. I did find some excess play in the roller tensioner. Replaced that (expensive too)- no change.

After reading about another members blown balancer and his subsequent ENTIRE engine tear down to find all the teeth and my "new" noise, I decided for $400, it was not worth gambling with potential major engine failure.

Couple pointers from member Stevenson, took about 45 minutes (taking my time) actual wrenching, beginning to end.

BTW, the noise, both at idle (sounded like the belt) and the "supercharger noise" are both gone..

IMO, just change it, no more worrying/knocking on wood, especially a known issue, ESPECIALLY if you have a type 2..

I still have the type 3 balancer. Your welcome to it, (weighs a bunch for shipping).
          Scott

Comment

Always wonder if how the engine is stored has anything to do with the balancer going bad. I have and 05 that’s left in the water with the engine tilted up wondering if that helps with the lubrication problem meaning does the warm oil drip into the balancer and stay there helping with the lube problem as opposed to people who leave the engine down having a higher rate of failure?

Comment

You likely know, the composite gears strip and come off.

I wouldn't think tilting would make a difference. Now the weights/shafts
              are pretty darn heavy.

I could see (maybe), hard acceleration from idle, spinning those shafts/gears up to speed, adding extra stress to the teeth.

Why Yamaha didn't simply make them of steel, (I guess weight savings), dunno...
              Scott

Comment

I hear what you’re saying about the weight, I just asked because I remember one of the early modifications was a lubing tube to the upper bearings. Was thinking Yamaha thought bearing failure was causing the gears to wear.

Comment

Dunno, may very well be.

I do store the boat on a lift with the engine stored "down"..
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Bluefish View Post
                    I hear what you’re saying about the weight, I just asked because I remember one of the early modifications was a lubing tube to the upper bearings. Was thinking Yamaha thought bearing failure was causing the gears to wear.
                    A nozzle was added to supply a bit more oil to the gears. Not to the bearings. A later design change was made but exactly what was done is not known outside of Yamaha Japan.

It appears that the teeth of the phenolic/composite gear are the part that is wearing. Bits of the teeth get distributed throughout the oiling system and cause mayhem.

The vast majority of balancer failures appear to be on aging motors that have little use. So, a 50 hour motor can fail when it is 3 years old whereas a 6000 hour motor may be just fine even after 5/6 years.

Comment

You also can have a balancer failure from a sudden impact
                      and damage to the gear case that stalls the engine.

Comment

interesting, guess the spinning weights do not like to stop all of a sudden. makes sense

Comment

I have seen it.

Comment

Yamaha have emailed back and there is no record of the balancer being changed. The engine is an 06 model with 275 hours so I think for peace of mind I will change it.

TMC

Comment

That design, with a metal gear pushing a plastic gear at twice the engine speed accelerating/decelerating considerable mass (the mass necessary for it to provide sufficient "balance") is prone to failure. Plastics cannot have there lives increased by increasing oil pressure on the teeth like steel can because they distort far greater and therefore under extreme forces wear significantly more, I would think.
                              They obviously used these plastic gears because they had concerns about noise created.
                              From experience does the second gear turning at closer to engine speed survive better? If it wears out at the same rate, this will prove the design wanting.

Comment

Working...
                              X