Yamaha f150 balancer id.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here ya go, a failed balancer.

What fails is the composite gear that meshes with the steel crankshaft gear.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-30-2017, 05:57 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Yamaha must have figured this out with version 4 and finally 5. How many I-4 F200s have failed? What about the Suzuki, Honda and Merc 4 cylinder balancers? Do they have the composite gears? I don't know. Shame this happened to otherwise one of the most reliable 4 stroke motors in the world.

Good idea OP. Replace with -04 part and forget about it...put some more hours on that motor. You need to catch up!

Comment

Yes you are right about the hours. We have only just purchased the boat so planning on considerable increase in hours hopefully.

TMC

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          Here ya go, a failed balancer.

What fails is the composite gear that meshes with the steel crankshaft gear.

So the other one survives! so Yamaha feels it must eventually get that shredded plastic gear right.
          If the stress difference on these gears is calculated, I would imagine it would be in the tens if not hundreds greater on that shredded one.
          Exact mesh between the engine gear and that gear is dependant on the fit of the added on casting to the engine.
          Therefore the gasket, the surface machining, and the "loose" fitting of the case on the bolts laterally, all influence the reliability of this poor design. How does one use feeler or dial guages to ensure correct tolerances???

Comment

Mod

Yeah Town, that's why I was wondering if plugs in the spots shown would help so far as the checking instead of guessing. I knew half moon plugs out wouldn't show the gear. Thanks for the offer on the type 3s but I think that's what is on my engines now.

Which rev. did they add the oil tower for the composite gears?

Was just spitballing on the inspection plugs, if Yamaha would do that it would be great since they are using composite gears.
            So rev. 4 is the latest correct?

Comment

plugs

The plugs I was talking about pulling to inspect the composite gears are the modification plugs I was talking about adding. Not the half moon plugs.

Comment

What's the point of drilling holes? Part #04 means version 5.

I say this from feedback from SimYamaha on another forum.

He has never had a complaint from a purchaser regarding -04. Which is version 5. Of course on THT there is a retard whose brother in law's sister has a minister who's son had a 2014 150 failure. But I'm not buying it.

Slap it on and go boating....

Comment

Re exact back lash spacing, etc, there is no physical "gasket" to speak of.

Alignment pins do not allow any sideways movement / play.

Sealer is used on the block for re-assembly only.

I don't know what you would see if the teeth were "almost failed".
                  Everything posted on this forum shows the teeth either there or
                  stripped.

As noted earlier, the entire unit is very stout / heavy (except for the
                  composite)...

And yes, type 4 is the latest since approx 2012. Being 5 years in service now, I doubt they'll be any newer versions...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-01-2017, 07:58 AM.
                  Scott

Comment

While we are on the subject of the F150, ours is an Australian model with it being 11 years old and only 275 hours. I will most likely buy a balancer from the US and I might as well get a few extras in the package like impeller kit, timing belt, should I be changing the VST filter, anything else someone can recommend?
                    Also I have found it hard to cross reference this engine to US models to find the right parts, can anyone help with this. Serial # 150 AET 63P X 1034228 K.

Thank you,
                    TMC.

Comment

What year is the engine?

Definitely pick up Yamaha's water-proof grease for the LU drive shaft. There's a mid-section bushing that needs to greased. Regular marine wheel bearing grease will NOT last (been there, don't that inside a month).

Purchasing the balancer here, sealer is NOT included and (at the time I did it) was NOT sold here. My local dealer had it in stock.

Anodes (exterior) and thermostat wouldn't be a bad idea either(seals for the anodes as well). Unless the engine was used strictly in fresh water
                      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-01-2017, 05:14 PM.
                      Scott

Comment

2006 year model. Sim are doing a deal on the balancer with sealer at the moment and thanks for the tip on the grease.

TMC

Comment

Originally posted by the mad cat View Post
                          While we are on the subject of the F150, ours is an Australian model with it being 11 years old and only 275 hours. I will most likely buy a balancer from the US and I might as well get a few extras in the package like impeller kit, timing belt, should I be changing the VST filter, anything else someone can recommend?
                          Also I have found it hard to cross reference this engine to US models to find the right parts, can anyone help with this. Serial # 150 AET 63P X 1034228 K.

Thank you,
                          TMC.
                          Your model should be an F150AET. Equivalent to a USA model F150TLR or TXR. L for a long shaft model (20") and X for an extra long shaft model (25").

Parts can be seen here if it is a extra long shaft model.

2006 and Later F150TXR Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks Boscoe,
                            That information has made it easy. Any opinions on the VST filter should I change or not.

TMC

Comment

Originally posted by the mad cat View Post
                              Thanks Boscoe,
                              That information has made it easy. Any opinions on the VST filter should I change or not.

TMC
                              I sprayed my VST filter with carb cleaner and reused it. I will get a new main gasket if I have to go back into that part again.

Comment

Working...
                              X