Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Treatment for Ethanol-Free Gas?

Hi all,

I am the new owner of twin 2012 F225 XCAs. I have easy access to ethanol-free gas, and am wondering if I should still be using any kind of fuel treatment? My dealer recommends Yamalube Ring Free Plus Fuel Additive, but the bottle says it is designed for E10 fuel.

Thanks for any advice!

Ring Free Plus is the only thing I use in my ethanol free fuel. For five years and counting. Certainly cannot hurt anything. Helping? Plenty of debate here.....

Comment

The RF is good for Ethanol fuel as well as NON-ethanol fuel.

Been using it with Non-Ethanol since 2007 in the boat and EVERY other gas machine I own (Ethanol), drive, ride. Customers small machines as well..

Excellent product...

**Should you need to "shock" your engine, it's TWO oz / ONE Gallon. Six
      gallons is plenty..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-26-2017, 08:20 AM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Best to use some type of fuel stabilizer in all fuel....especially for any extended motor shut-downs of several weeks or more...Stabilizers cost a whole lot less than repairs caused by plugged carb jets, injectors, etc....

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
          Best to use some type of fuel stabilizer in all fuel....especially for any extended motor shut-downs of several weeks or more...Stabilizers cost a whole lot less than repairs caused by plugged carb jets, injectors, etc....
          +100 ^^^

"Gas Shok" works really, really well (as does, IMO, K100).

K100 I use solely in the boat, Gas Shok, everything else..
          Scott

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I should have also clarified that since I'm currently living in the Bahamas, winterization and long-term storage should hopefully not be an issue! The product was recommended to me as protection against carbon build-up, but I am wondering whether a 2012 four-stroke Yamaha, with ethanol-free gas from "Rubis" station, really needs that kind of protection against carbon build-up or not?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah272 View Post
              Thanks everyone.

I should have also clarified that since I'm currently living in the Bahamas, winterization and long-term storage should hopefully not be an issue! The product was recommended to me as protection against carbon build-up, but I am wondering whether a 2012 four-stroke Yamaha, with ethanol-free gas from "Rubis" station, really needs that kind of protection against carbon build-up or not?

Thanks again.
              I'm not concerned about carbon build up.. It's a fuel system cleaner too.

That's what I basically use it for.. Especially carbed engines (I know yours isn't) it makes a big difference...

My 06 engine has never had the injectors removed, NO fueling issues what so ever...

Read post #22 specifically, and you decide: http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...h28109-p2.html

Cheap insurance IMO...

Scott

Comment

I'd like to know if YAM recommends Ringfree for their motorcycles and other four stroke engines.

For my F225's, I use Stabrite Enzyme fuel treatment year round, and add Stabil to that in the fall / winter / spring. I do not use Ringfree.

My point is, how many of us have never had a ring issue with a four-stroke auto engine? I've probably owned 30 cars in my lifetime and never put anything in them but pump gas, and occasionally, fuel system / injector cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                  I'd like to know if YAM recommends Ringfree for their motorcycles and other four stroke engines.

For my F225's, I use Stabrite Enzyme fuel treatment year round, and add Stabil to that in the fall / winter / spring. I do not use Ringfree.

My point is, how many of us have never had a ring issue with a four-stroke auto engine? I've probably owned 30 cars in my lifetime and never put anything in them but pump gas, and occasionally, fuel system / injector cleaner.
                  Yamaha IME, doesn't recommend any additives for the bikes (and I've owned a bunch-Yammys, HD's, Honda's, Suzuki's, etc).. However, bikes don't sit nearly as much as a boat, with much smaller tanks so the fuel "turn-over" is alot.

My F150, I can run (fish,stop, etc) an entire day on 5 gallons (50 gallon tank). And I don't go out with less than half a tank. So fuel will go stale unless I run everyday (which I don't)..

I work on small engines on the side and had two bad experience' with Stabil and won't touch it anymore..

As for any automotive "ring issues", had one, REAL bad... Bought my friends Dodge (Dart as I re-call?) with a slant six. It would spit out 5 quarts of oil in 10 miles in the engine bay. Cleaned the bay to find the leak.. Didn't take long to find it was coming from the dip stick tube (blow by)... Pulled the engine, pistons/rings.. Compression rings had OVER 1/4" end gap. Honed and put in new stock rings (one was just outside of spec's). Stopped the issue, BIL drove it for YEARS afterwards, no leaks, oil usage...

Just to add, the small "yard machines" I work on usually have fuel (varnish) related issues. I'll clean, get them running and fine tune with a tach for maximum RPM's (chainsaw's, weed-eaters, etc). I use my mix of Gas Shok, RF and oil. Often, I'll go out a day or two later to make sure there's no starting issues. When doing that, I find, maybe 50% of the time, put the tach back on it and I'll get another 1,000 RPM's out of it. Now that's NOT doing anything else, just the RF sitting in the engine/carb..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-26-2017, 07:18 PM.
                  Scott

Comment

Ringfree was originally designed to prevent carbon-stuck piston rings in 2 stroke outboard motors...and I believe it's very good for that and I've always used it in my C90 2 stroke premix outboard. There are other products on the market specifically designed to stabilize fuel during storage of several weeks or more...Like Stabil and others. I've never thought that carbon deposits are a key issue in lean/clean burning 4 stroke engines, but the use of Ringfree could be an insurance against that possibility....

Comment

Or it could just be a total waste of money.

Comment

OP was warned of debate....

Now we could all move along with dinner if Oldmako would simply post a few pics of his latest conquest.

Comment

I would vote for that as long as it looks as good as the last one!!!!!
                          Dennis
                          Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Me too,, mercurys fuel cleaner is very good stuf too.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                              Or it could just be a total waste of money.
                              X2..Buy fuel then burn it

Comment

Working...
                              X