No announcement yet.

Fuel Treatment for Ethanol-Free Gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YAM took a whole page of my owners manual to tell me just how clean these 4 strokes burn fuel. They even put a special sticker on the cowling. There is zero evidence of fuel sheen or oil on the water when the engines are running. Zero smoke. The plugs are clean clean clean when I pull them. If I were running a two stroke my opinion would be different.

Ringfree - I just don't buy it. Figuratively or literally.

Comment

Don't turn on us...

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
        YAM took a whole page of my owners manual to tell me just how clean these 4 strokes burn fuel. They even put a special sticker on the cowling. There is zero evidence of fuel sheen or oil on the water when the engines are running. Zero smoke. The plugs are clean clean clean when I pull them. If I were running a two stroke my opinion would be different.

Ringfree - I just don't buy it. Figuratively or literally.
        You might ask Rodbolt his opinion on it.

Per previous posts, it's the ONLY additive HE uses in his OWN Yamaha OB.

Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Ask Rodbolt what additive he uses in his own engine..

Scott

Comment

If he says he does, ask him if he pays retail for it.
            Last edited by oldmako69; 11-26-2017, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
              If he says he does, ask him if he pays retail for it.
              I know he does and I'm sure he gets it discounted... And no, it isn't cheap..

Keep in mind, "the down time" (1/2 hour labor), say with a clogged injector, clogged VST filter, carb or any other fuel issue will cost you way more than a bottle that treats 320 gallons that may prevent it...

Pay me now or pay me later...You get what you pay for...

Been using it for many years with hands on, positive results.

Of course, your free to use or not use it..

The Op asked for opinions...
              Scott

Comment

That's fine because I don't pay for labor. I take a cooler and a decent cigar and just try and enjoy the day.

How does Ring Free help with Injector, VST and other fuel related issues? I already add an additive for fuel. I just don't see the need for any 4 stroke engine to use it since the rings are free to rotate around the piston, unlike on a two stroke. If this is not the case, someone please tell me and I will re-evaluate.

The absence of a stuck ring does not mean that the Ring Free prevented it from occurring. In 42 years of car and boat ownership, I have never had a stuck ring on a four stroke engine. And I am so damn cheap that I don't give up on anything until it has well over 200,000 miles on it. I've got a 27 year old Benz in the driveway which has never seen a ring free type additive. It does however, get Startron.
                Last edited by oldmako69; 11-26-2017, 08:17 PM.

Comment

this is what the manifold side of an intake valve on a 4-stroke outboard motor looks like after a spell of running "cheap gasoline" that has a "weak additive package".

I don't use Ring-Free - but these are the kind of "deposits" it is intended to - and does - remove.

Comment

Understood, but my motor can sit up in the shed for 3 or 4 months between uses...and fuel can degrade and cause problems. If I ran my boat most every day maybe stabilizer not so important....

Comment

As I stated earlier, I use it more for the FUEL SYSTEM cleaning it also performs. FI'ed engines nowadays, (as you noted), run super clean..

It keeps varnish from building up (untreated old fuel) used regularly in the fuel system;

An extreme example of varnish (no stabilizer or fuel treatment used) from a customers machine (10 HP B&S generator) I repaired:

Before:

After:

If the owner had used a stabilizer and RF (or other), he wouldn't have paid me the same $ for the repair..

It would have run when it was needed vs sitting in the dark, nor the down time. And yes, it's a 4 stroke engine.

Re the VST, injectors, etc. My F150 has NEVER had the injectors pulled/cleaned, VST filter pulled / cleaned, runs like new. Ten years old
                      with RF ALWAYS used (and K100 stabilizer).
                      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-27-2017, 07:48 AM.
                      Scott

Comment

Thanks again everyone. This is very helpful. I'm going to go ahead and get a few quarts, using it every-other tank for now, until I give this more thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah272 View Post
                          Thanks again everyone. This is very helpful. I'm going to go ahead and get a few quarts, using it every-other tank for now, until I give this more thought.
                          Plz post back your results / thoughts once used for awhile.

Also, 1 oz treats 10 gallons. A small bottle should last you awhile.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                          X