2005 Yamaha 115 Power Trim Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Yamaha 115 Power Trim Issue

Hello guys and gals. My power tilt on my 2005 Yamaha 115 4 stroke (MFG. 4/2005) does not always go down. It trims up fine but it is like it gets stuck when you try to trim down. When this happens I see a slight movement of the piston when I push the switch in the down position and if I keep pushing the switch a few times it starts back down. It is not the trim switch on the motor because it does this whether I am at the helm or at the motor. I know on my 50 Mercury it had an up tilt relay and a down tilt relay mounted on the separate tilt motor in the bilge area. But this Yamaha has no external tilt motor. Is there a relay that would cause this or it is a brush issue on the motor. But seems like it if was brushes it would do it in the up position also. Hopefully it is a quick fix. Thanks in advance, Don

I had this issue on my F150. Added some fluid and solved the problem temporarily. Seals eventually needed replacing.

Comment

Thanks pstephens46. I noticed it was making a gurgling sound when I trim it. Must be low on trim fluid. I will fill it up and give it a try.

Comment

That was it! I just didn't know it takes more fluid to trim down than up! Thanks again pstephens.

Comment

Keep an eye on it. 2005 is old enough for seals to begin failing.

Comment

you have been warned.
            it is a sealed system.
            if it ever needs fluid it means it leaked fluid out.
            if fluid can leak out it can leak in.

Comment

Working...
            X