Carburetor Syncing Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburetor Syncing Tool

I'm looking for a 4-gauge vacuum carb-syncing kit. I see plenty of kits online and I am wondering if any particular brand is recommended.

Is AlphaMoto OK?

Also I don't know which particular adapters I need to use with my Yamaha FT50 outboards. The service manual isn't much help - Just shows a picture but no spec.

Thanks,
    Sean

"Morgan Carbtune" no doubt... No liquids, EXTREMELY well made.

Bought it for the bike(s) but used it on my F150 and worked on that as well-no issues.

Don't know your location but it's available in the states (just do a search).
    I've had mine since 2009, still like new, paid for itself MANY times over..
    Back then, I had to order from Europe and it approx $80 delivered to the states.

Morgan Carbtune - carburetor synchronizer for balancing motorcycle carbs

Re setting the carbs, you'll just be adjusting the butterflys (usually a screw with a spring around it) open or closed until the vacuum is as close as possible at idle. Usually within 10mm (scale is on the side of the unit).

I was able to get my bike within 3mm's (super close) on all 4 cylinders..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-25-2017, 08:30 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I use the mighty vac, you will have to hook
      it up to 12 volts.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
        I use the mighty vac, you will have to hook
        it up to 12 volts.
        A vacuum SYNC tool?? Electric yet??

Have a link?
        Scott

Comment

I was wrong its called vacuummate carburetor tuner.

Comment

I was wrong its called vacuummate carburetor tuner.
            Holy cow!! Super expensive!!!

Curious what RB uses commercially, simple vacuum or the above similar electronic unit..
            Scott

Comment

I worked at a marina for 26 years.

Comment

If I remember rite I got a discount through
                yamaha, still was expensive. It's alot easer to
                reed.

Comment

I too got a discount. I use the water resistant vacumate with the battery or 12v option.
                  use to use it a lot not so much now.

Comment

I worked at a marina for 26 years.
                    Retired???

Comment

Work at home.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                        "Morgan Carbtune" no doubt... No liquids, EXTREMELY well made.

Bought it for the bike(s) but used it on my F150 and worked on that as well-no issues.

Don't know your location but it's available in the states (just do a search).
                        I've had mine since 2009, still like new, paid for itself MANY times over..
                        Back then, I had to order from Europe and it approx $80 delivered to the states..
                        Thanks - Looks like that's what I need. We are in the Galapagos so reliability is key. We can order through a visiting friend ($135 on Amazon) but returns are NOT an option if it's defective or breaks down - No moving-parts is a big plus. But no liquids? Those manometers sure look like they have some sort of liquid (maybe mercury) - How else would they work?
                        Sean

Comment

Originally posted by LPLeodan View Post
                          Thanks - Looks like that's what I need. We are in the Galapagos so reliability is key. We can order through a visiting friend ($135 on Amazon) but returns are NOT an option if it's defective or breaks down - No moving-parts is a big plus. But no liquids? Those manometers sure look like they have some sort of liquid (maybe mercury) - How else would they work?
                          Sean
                          I don't know what the "slides" inside are made of however, it IS top of the line for the motorcycle world. It also has measurements on the side of each slide (down to 1 MM).

Strictly operated on vacuum, those slides get pulled up with the vacuum. There are "restrictions" (a small piece that goes in the hose and reduces the orifice down to about the size of a needle).

There really is no maintenance to it, no fluid, oils, etc to maintain or suck into the engine...

Folks also make their own manometers out of hose and liquids (you can do a search) however you run the chance of sucking it into the engine.

This tool is literally fool proof. When hooked up, you'll see the slides moving up and down (as vacuum at each cylinder intake changes).

Even in the states, one Yamaha motorcycle sync is at least $125... I had to re-sync my old FJR 1300 (4 cylinder) after the shop screwed it up (under warranty with a running issue).

You won't be disappointed...

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                            I don't know what the "slides" inside are made of however, it IS top of the line for the motorcycle world. It also has measurements on the side of each slide (down to 1 MM).
                            Maybe so, just not in the Yamaha motorcycle world however. They prefer the vacuumate.

If a ten dollar part will work well then Yamaha will specify the hundred dollar part.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                              Maybe so, just not in the Yamaha motorcycle world however. They prefer the vacuumate.

If a ten dollar part will work well then Yamaha will specify the hundred dollar part.
                              Overkill IMO, especially for the DIY'er.

7x's the price?

More parts to fail? No thank you...

KISS..

Yamaha may call for that tool, but in REAL life, (on the forums), the DIY'er will NOT drop $700 for the sync tool. Most don't want to drop $100 either and make their own...

BTW, here's what my Yamaha shop manual (motorcycle) calls for, and it's not a vacuumate :

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-26-2017, 08:35 AM.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X