No announcement yet.

F225 TXRC bogging down - fuel rail pressure question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am thinking that something like that could leak very easy and cause the motor to catch on fire

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      I am thinking that something like that could leak very easy and cause the motor to catch on fire
      Why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        myself I would test the rail pressure at the RPM and LOAD when it fails.
        otherwise the test is a teat on a boar hog.
        that vacuum sense line on the regulator allows for about 5PSI more rail pressure at or near WOT or when rapidly accelerating.
        Rodbolt: Agree: my first entry where I quoted RPMs and fuel rail psi was underway/under load...NOT in neutral. So, the at-load at RPM, from 2000 to 4200 RPM, rail pressure was 48 psi. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Why is that?
          Originally posted by Crazy Train View Post
          As an aside, it would be nice if the VST could be modified with maybe a 1 inch diameter side access 'hatch', like a screw on gas cap, level with the HP pump filter so that the filter and VST interior could be inspected without ripping the VST off the engine.
          I would think anything below the liquid level like a gas cap has a very good possibility of leaking liquid fuel

Comment

I it would be nice if the VST could be modified with maybe a 1 inch diameter side access 'hatch', like a screw on gas cap, level with the HP pump filter so that the filter and VST interior could be inspected without ripping the VST off the engine.
            Anybody else remember the Holley "Visi-flow" used on Fords and IHCs?

Comment

The HP pump filter does not really need to be within the VST.

Gasoline initially entering the VST has been filtered by the primary fuel filter. That gasoline having normally already having been filtered by a boat mounted water separating fuel filter.

The HP pump filter I suppose it to try and capture any contaminates that have gotten into the fuel system either from the pump itself or down stream from the pump. An external filter could be mounted adjacent to the VST to filter any bypassed gasoline that needs to re-enter the VST.

Were I the engineer that is the way I would do it. But if I owned the company there would no VST installed at all.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

I also remember glass bowl gascolators.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

I don't remember the above carb but Holly and others DO have a see thru "plug" (approx 1" across) for adjusting the float level correctly(with the carb installed), see below.

For the OP, did you drain the VST and see if any crap came out?

Should be one screw on the bottom and a hose connected. Obviously catch what comes out in a small clean container.

I'll drain mine occasionally AND prime the bulb to push fuel thru it for inspection/flush..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-27-2017, 05:35 PM.
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                    I don't remember the above carb but Holly and others DO have a see thru "plug" (approx 1" across) for adjusting the float level correctly(with the carb installed), see below.

For the OP, did you drain the VST and see if any crap came out?

Should be one screw on the bottom and a hose connected. Obviously catch what comes out in a small clean container.

I'll drain mine occasionally AND prime the bulb to push fuel thru it for inspection/flush..

I did drain the VST into a separate cup: no visible crap. I have a screw on the side but not a place to connect a hose. I use a 6 inch long 'chute' that drains into the cup. I did not pump the bulb to push the gas through since I was by myself and had to hold the cup, but will do that next time with help.

For VST access, I was also thinking of 1 inch diameter tube, threaded on the outside, that is capped off with a female cap similar to a wide-mouth oil container, but that visi flow window would be perfect - clear to see in AND access to suction off the HP pump screen and VST bottom.

Thanks!

Comment

those float chambers are not under pressure like the VST is.

Comment

those float chambers are not under pressure like the VST is.
                        The VST isn't under pressure(not much to speak of till the float shuts off the needle valve)... It's got a needle and float and a vent:

2004 F225TXRC Yamaha Outboard FUEL INJECTION PUMP 1 Diagram and Parts

Maybe a misunderstanding, or I missed something..
                        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-27-2017, 08:14 PM.
                        Scott

Comment

For VST access, I was also thinking of 1 inch diameter tube, threaded on the outside, that is capped off with a female cap similar to a wide-mouth oil container, but that visi flow window would be perfect - clear to see in AND access to suction off the HP pump screen and VST bottom.
                          Once the VST is clean, you shouldn't have to go in there again (any time soon) with proper filter changes, etc...

I've never changed /checked the VST filter on my engine (original owner) but I keep after exterior filters, drain the VST on occasion and use fuel additives (Non-ethanol fuel too).

BTW, it has been mentioned in previous posts you can spray carb cleaner up the drain in the VST. Wether the spray would actually hit the filter, dunno for your engine. Probably couldn't hurt(and easy too).

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                            The VST isn't under pressure(not much to speak of till the float shuts off the needle valve)... It's got a needle and float and a vent:

\ Maybe a misunderstanding, or I missed something..
                            I am under the impression that the VST is not open to outside air until a relief valve opens. fuel in VST does not evaperate away like a carb bowl

Comment

I am under the impression that the VST is not open to outside air until a relief valve opens. fuel in VST does not evaperate away like a carb bowl
                              Interesting. Not sure what vents when it is being filled. There is a break "valve" to vent to intake. 10 psi according to Fairdeal.

At any rate, not that big a headache to remove VST to clean. Now those little screws and funky gasket can be aggravating.
                              Last edited by pstephens46; 11-27-2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment

In most Yams the VST is vented to the atmosphere via the charcoal cannister in the vapor recovery system.

I seem to recall some early models not using the vapor recovery system simply vented the VST directly to the atmosphere.

Comment

Working...
                                X