No announcement yet.

F225 TXRC bogging down - fuel rail pressure question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't it be nice if everything had sight glasses and tubes to fill and drain things easily.
    Most things end up with unwanted messy spillage.
    I hate oil filters, especially on Diesel engines. Most invariably spill that black staining oil at the spin off. Why can't there be a special catching ledge under them? And space to turn them upright and to extract them vertically!.
    Bit off topic but one can do a lot of modifications and retrofitting after buying a new vehicle/boat etc. to make servicing easier.

Comment

not to be capt obvious here.
      but does anyone understand the pump motor has brushs?
      does anyone understand that gas flows over the armature,over the commutater/brush set and out the outlet?
      does anyone understand where the brush dust goes?
      it is called maint.
      do it.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        does anyone understand that gas flows over the armature,over the commutater/brush set and out the outlet?
        it is called maint.
        do it.
        Which raises the question, why not use a brushless DC motor?

Better reliability. Less maintenance costs. Less profit for dealer mokanics.

Oh, while they are at it, make the lift pump motor variable speed so that it does not have to over work and heat up the gasoline any more than necessary. Take out the crap return lines and expensive pressure relief valve that fails and makes everyone go crazy.
        Last edited by boscoe99; 11-28-2017, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          Interesting. Not sure what vents when it is being filled. There is a break "valve" to vent to intake. 10 psi according to Fairdeal.

At any rate, not that big a headache to remove VST to clean. Now those little screws and funky gasket can be aggravating.
          Yeah those little screws are sporty!

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
            it is called maint.
            do it.
            Rodbolt, thanks that's good info that was not obvious to me. This means the dust, if it doesn't make it to the cylinder to get burned, is filtered out by the two toughest filers to get to - the injector filters or it recirc's to the HP pump filter.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              In most Yams the VST is vented to the atmosphere via the charcoal cannister in the vapor recovery system.

I seem to recall some early models not using the vapor recovery system simply vented the VST directly to the atmosphere.

This is a great block diagram..thanks Boscoe.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                Which raises the question, why not use a brushless DC motor?

Better reliability. Less maintenance costs. Less profit for dealer mokanics.

Oh, while they are at it, make the lift pump motor variable speed so that it does not have to over work and heat up the gasoline any more than necessary. Take out the crap return lines and expensive pressure relief valve that fails and makes everyone go crazy.
                Extra electronics for brushless, prone to failure if brushless motor gets jammed.
                You're right though more modern motor control solutions out there, look at modern inverter airconditioners.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                  Once the VST is clean, you shouldn't have to go in there again (any time soon) with proper filter changes, etc...

I've never changed /checked the VST filter on my engine (original owner) but I keep after exterior filters, drain the VST on occasion and use fuel additives (Non-ethanol fuel too).

BTW, it has been mentioned in previous posts you can spray carb cleaner up the drain in the VST. Wether the spray would actually hit the filter, dunno for your engine. Probably couldn't hurt(and easy too).

My HP pump filter is offset to the right and has a cover over it as shown in Townsend's diagram, so I am not sure if the carb cleaner coming out of the straw would hit it. I intend to pull/open the VST to inspect the filter....and get to the fuel injectors since that is where the diagnosis is pointing me. Your maintenance rigor sounds like it is paying off. This forum is littered with folks that have fuel system issues. I just changed the LP pump 'check valve' last season. I believe one of the regular contributors on this forum commented that fuel system issues are the number 1 Yamaha maintenance issue, if I recall correctly. If true, it is sad.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                    Extra electronics for brushless, prone to failure if brushless motor gets jammed.
                    You're right though more modern motor control solutions out there, look at modern inverter airconditioners.
                    The outboard motor world is years, if not decades of years, behind the automotive world. We customers/users pay the price.

It is not as if the outboard motor makers need to invent a wheel. All they really have to do is copy the best of what the auto world has to offer.

Comment

But then they'd have even more trouble justifying their prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Train View Post
                        My HP pump filter is offset to the right and has a cover over it as shown in Townsend's diagram, so I am not sure if the carb cleaner coming out of the straw would hit it. I intend to pull/open the VST to inspect the filter....and get to the fuel injectors since that is where the diagnosis is pointing me. Your maintenance rigor sounds like it is paying off. This forum is littered with folks that have fuel system issues. I just changed the LP pump 'check valve' last season. I believe one of the regular contributors on this forum commented that fuel system issues are the number 1 Yamaha maintenance issue, if I recall correctly. If true, it is sad.
                        Oh come on. All of this is so simple!!

A clogged VST pump screen needs to be removed to be cleaned. The particulates found their way into the VST and wound up clogging the intake screen. Simply dislodging them just kicks the can down the road because it doesn't take them out of the VST. They'll just slosh around until they get sucked into the screen. You know the one with the huge surface area. Its massive and takes TONS of material before it....well, let's just say that without perfectly clean fuel that it clogs right off the bat. Removing the VST is a pain in the ass primarily because of the way they designed it. Thirty five bucks for a HP pump filter / screen. I't a 29 cent piece of plastic with a screen 3/8 inch across. A competent engineer who thought for ten minutes about maintenance could have come up with a better idea than burying the VST. Or at least, an easier method to service it and the 20 dollar gasket on the VST. On my port engine, its not too terrible, but on the starboard it sucks.

Amazingly, my engines are treating me great. But, last year was another matter. Its a shame because they really are nice when spooled up.
                        Last edited by oldmako69; 11-28-2017, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                          Oh come on. All of this is so simple!!

A clogged VST pump screen needs to be removed to be cleaned. The particulates found their way into the VST and wound up clogging the intake screen. Simply dislodging them just kicks the can down the road because it doesn't take them out of the VST. They'll just slosh around until they get sucked into the screen. You know the one with the huge surface area. Its massive and takes TONS of material before it....well, let's just say that without perfectly clean fuel that it clogs right off the bat. Removing the VST is a pain in the ass primarily because of the way they designed it. Thirty five bucks for a HP pump filter / screen. I't a 29 cent piece of plastic with a screen 3/8 inch across. A competent engineer who thought for ten minutes about maintenance could have come up with a better idea than burying the VST. Or at least, an easier method to service it and the 20 dollar gasket on the VST. On my port engine, its not too terrible, but on the starboard it sucks.

Amazingly, my engines are treating me great. But, last year was another matter. Its a shame because they really are nice when spooled up.
                          Agree. IMO, I don't think the engineers concluded that the VST was to be serviced as much as this forum indicates it is. I believe they assigned their filtering requirements to the on-board filter and called it good to go. The VST speaks to non-serviceability (hidden, tiny weak screws, internal filter, non-friendly gasket, etc.) except for the drain to winterize the VST. It was not meant to be/thought to be needed to be cracked open for frequent filter changes. But here we are. So where does all that particulate matter come from to clog the HP pump filter if all that gas just passed through the on-board fuel pump? Is it the brush dust that RODBOLT speaks to? Is it enthanol eating away fuel lines and fittings? All of the above?

Comment

One potential source (I read about this on another forum) is the HP pump itself. Moisture contained within the hygroscopic ethanol rusts the internal metal components of the Hi PSI pump. As I understand it, you don't need suspended, free water in the fuel, just moisture contained within the E10. That moisture corrodes the pumps internals which then get pumped out to the injectors. The fuel returned to the VST from the fuel injector supply loop - (wrong nomenclature I'm sure, but you get the idea) contains these ruts bits along with the little bits of crap sloughed off by the internal degradation of the fuel hose. There is a vendor who sells a replacement pump which contains zero metal. Supposedly its got ceramic guts. I cannot vouch for it.

One guy actually cut an old HP pump open and discovered it rusting out internally. So, you can change all the filters short of the VST all you want, but you still can't prevent detritus from gumming up the VST fuel pump filter or the injector screens. At least, this is how it appears to me.

On my boat, the external Racor was completely clean. The first stage YAM filter was fine. Yet there was crap in the VST screen. I did not cut open the F filter, I just tossed and replaced it. Another 30 dollar bill.

I am giving consideration to adding a simple glass see-through in place of the F filter. If I can relocate it to a more sensible location I will.
                            Last edited by oldmako69; 11-29-2017, 12:12 AM.

Comment

One potential source (I read about this on another forum) is the HP pump itself. Moisture contained within the hygroscopic ethanol rusts the internal metal components of the Hi PSI pump. As I understand it, you don't need suspended, free water in the fuel, just moisture contained within the E10. That moisture corrodes the pumps internals which then get pumped out to the injectors. The fuel returned to the VST from the fuel injector supply loop - (wrong nomenclature I'm sure, but you get the idea) contains these ruts bits along with the little bits of crap sloughed off by the internal degradation of the fuel hose. There is a vendor who sells a replacement pump which contains zero metal. Supposedly its got ceramic guts. I cannot vouch for it.

One guy actually cut an old HP pump open and discovered it rusting out internally. So, you can change all the filters short of the VST all you want, but you still can't prevent detritus from gumming up the VST fuel pump filter or the injector screens. At least, this is how it appears to me.

On my boat, the external Racor was completely clean. The first stage YAM filter was fine. Yet there was crap in the VST screen. I did not cut open the F filter, I just tossed and replaced it. Another 30 dollar bill.

I am giving consideration to adding a simple glass see-through in place of the F filter. If I can relocate it to a more sensible location I will.
                              I like this F filter idea.

Comment

A competent engineer who thought for ten minutes about maintenance could have come up with a better idea than burying the VST.
                                Originally posted by Crazy Train View Post
                                Agree. IMO, I don't think the engineers concluded that the VST was to be serviced as much as this forum indicates it is.
                                "Fuel System Components" would be an especially fascinating chapter in the book Inside Stories of the Yamaha Engineering Dept that I would love to read..

The decision to use a pencil-eraser sized VST screen in the early 3.3 is particularly baffling; not surprisingly eventually that grows substantially.

also interesting, I believe over subsequent years the "F-filter", "check valve", fuel cooler (and pressure regulator?) transition from separate pieces plumbed around the engine, to simply integrated into the VST itself

Comment

Working...
                                X