90TLRA tilt cylinder piston removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90TLRA tilt cylinder piston removal

How do you take off the piston from the tilt shaft? I want to replace the oil seal in the cap and need to get the piston off.

Do I need to remove the spring dowel and unthread the piston? Spring dowel visible in picture.
    Attached Files

lol that was my thought, too - but wrong. don't touch that roll pin.

just unscrew the piston from the shaft - std right-hand thread

Rodbolts' neat trick - hold top of shaft in vise, drop two 5/16" bolts/rods into a couple of the piston holes (from which you already carefully removed/contained the balls etc)
    then use a rod between the bolts for leverage to unscrew the piston

see this thread:

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...d-th27537.html

Comment

Thanks a lot for advice. Of course I lost one ball somewhere, aargh. I’m going to test with a slightly bigger ball ( 3 hundreds of 1mm bigger) to see if it works. Hope it does.

Comment

Originally posted by holmen78 View Post
        Of course I lost one ball somewhere, aargh. I’m going to test with a slightly bigger ball ( 3 hundreds of 1mm bigger) to see if it works. Hope it does.
        Bummer. I nearly had to scrounge up a substitute - then got lucky when the lost ball "showed back up".

but I felt confident that the valve design would be fairly tolerant of a difference in ball diameter.

Comment

Yeah, I looked at the seat inside the piston where the ball is supposed to seal, and I can’t imagine a slightly bigger ball wouldn’t work. But I will search for an other hour for it, lol.

It was an excellent thread that was linked in the first answer.

Comment

nope
            you cannot randomly substitute check valves.
            wont work and you will take it back apart to install the correct parts.

Comment

The bad thing is the valve balls are not sold separately and I’m not going to pay $500 for a new tilt piston sub assy just because one steel ball is missing. I have no choice but to try with the 0.0011811 inch (0.03mm) bigger ball and hope it seats. According to local Yamaha service dealer even a 4mm ball will work, so keeping my fingers crossed

Comment

Originally posted by holmen78 View Post
                The bad thing is the valve balls are not sold separately and I’m not going to pay $500 for a new tilt piston sub assy just because one steel ball is missing. I have no choice but to try with the 0.0011811 inch (0.03mm) bigger ball and hope it seats. According to local Yamaha service dealer even a 4mm ball will work, so keeping my fingers crossed
                If a dealer says it, it must be true.

I read this on the inner web.

Comment

I will let you all know how it works out once I have received all the spare parts and assembled the ptt back on.

Comment

Got new ball bearing balls for my tilt piston. Replaced the one I lost with the new one and everything is working normally. They where 0.02mm bigger than original. Actually the new balls where rated as 5/32” in diameter.

Comment

Thanks for the update.

You may have saved someone mucho $ down the road...

Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                      X