Panasonic (anyone) do you know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panasonic (anyone) do you know

why some alternator stators use a three wire wye configuration and some use a delta configuration? There has to be some pros and cons of one versus the other. I can't find the reason on the inner web. Lots of talk about one or the other but they don't say the good, the bad or the ugly.

Did they teach you any of this in A&P school?

Yamaha seems to use the wye configuration. Why wye?

I will have to think about this for a bit, I haven't touched "Star and delta" for decades, but I seem to remember line voltage being equal to phase voltage, and high initial current, plus reliability in one compared to the other, give me a while to clear the cobwebs from my old brain.
    Last edited by ausnoelm; 11-19-2017, 05:02 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I do not see where it would make a difference on an outboard charging system producing small voltag DC

But on normal electrical transformers around homes and industry depending on the voltage set up, the Wye could give you 3 Phase 240 A to B,A to C,or B to C.
      or 120 from any leg to the center tap between all coils
      with the delta you would have to do a center tap on one of the windings to get the 120 from 1/2 of that winding.

Comment

Probably learned some time or another but really don't know much about it. But I found this and it makes a little sense to me...not much. Big topic...electric motor, generators and such.

Star Delta Wiring for Alternators | REUK.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          I do not see where it would make a difference on an outboard charging system producing small voltag DC

But on normal electrical transformers around homes and industry depending on the voltage set up, the Wye could give you 3 Phase 240 A to B,A to C,or B to C.
          or 120 from any leg to the center tap between all coils
          with the delta you would have to do a center tap on one of the windings to get the 120 from 1/2 of that winding.
          It does not produce DC, the AC produced and rectified into DC, and indeed it has a lot to do with it, because an alternator system has "poles" that need to be in phase to produce what is required.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
            Probably learned some time or another but really don't know much about it. But I found this and it makes a little sense to me...not much. Big topic...electric motor, generators and such.

Star Delta Wiring for Alternators | REUK.co.uk
            Thanks for the link. I think that is what I was looking for.

Comment

Y more current earlier. Got that wrong.
              It would be Y produces higher voltage for charging at lower revs.
              Last edited by zenoahphobic; 11-19-2017, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
                It does not produce DC, the AC produced and rectified into DC, and indeed it has a lot to do with it, because an alternator system has "poles" that need to be in phase to produce what is required.
                true the alternator/stater coils puts out AC,
                the charging system puts out DC,
                at a fairly low voltage on these motors compared to most other electrical system I have dealt with in my life.

The more poles the smoother the ripple in the DC.

higher or lower voltage comes from how many wraps in the coil.
                I guess I need to read some of the info also to see what the true differences are between D and Y windings

Comment

The power produced between any two leads in the wye configuration is developed in two sets of coils versus just one set of coils in the delta configuration. I have now been able to locate other data that corroborates what is stated in the link that the Pan Man provided. It seems reasonable.

I am playing with an electric motor turning a three phase permanent magnet alternator (PMA) which then feeds either a simple rectifier or a Yamaha rectifier regulator. It has been interesting. A two horse power electric motor is not able to turn the damn PMA when connected to the Yamaha R/R, even after I have increased the pulley size by three fold on the PMA. Never enough HP.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                    The power produced between any two leads in the wye configuration is developed in two sets of coils versus just one set of coils in the delta configuration. I have now been able to locate other data that corroborates what is stated in the link that the Pan Man provided. It seems reasonable.

I am playing with an electric motor turning a three phase permanent magnet alternator (PMA) which then feeds either a simple rectifier or a Yamaha rectifier regulator. It has been interesting. A two horse power electric motor is not able to turn the damn PMA when connected to the Yamaha R/R, even after I have increased the pulley size by three fold on the PMA. Never enough HP.

You building a windmill? Testing the alternator before putting it together?

Comment

Yeah the factors involved.
                      You would think you should be able to turn any alternator at No Load wouldn't you.
                      Of course it's the strength in those permanent magnets offering too much resistance (more stationery than when turning)
                      This is where your electric motor needs to match the torque required. There are motors then there are motors same HP but different.
                      Usually this is overcome by getting the motor up to speed and then a clutch engages the load.
                      Maybe you are suggesting changing your winding configuration in your electric motor, if that is at all possible.
                      If experimenting, try shutting off the magnets or regulating their strength! How would you do this?

Comment

seems to me that the flywheel would have to travel farther to go by the 2 coils on the Y system to create that higher voltage, would it not?
                        or maybe there is more than on magnet doing the pulsing so they cross the different coils at the same time or so close to each other it forms a steady load
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 11-19-2017, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Why do you want to drive an alternator with an electric motor?

Comment

That's why I asked him if he was building a windmill (permanent magnet alternator) Thought he may be testing the alternator....before putting it up???

I don't know, just guessing.

Comment

Because it is quiet. I can then observe/record various AC phase output voltages, DC output voltages, etc. as electrical loads are applied and then removed, as the rotor RPM is increased or decreased, in relative peacefulness.

Why? Just so that I can better understand what is going on in a permanent magnet electrical generation system. Just for the fun/frustration of it.

I had once planned to buy a blown 2 stroke block and turn the crank shaft/rotor with an electric motor to observe the electrical system output but that proved too difficult to do. Not many around and folks wanted too much dinero for their junk.

Wishing now that I had an oscilloscope.

Comment

Working...
                              X