No announcement yet.

gearcase drain plug leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spec's are to hold 10 PSI for 10 seconds with no leak-down/ leakage.

At least for my F150:

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-15-2017, 01:37 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I would have though a couple of PSI would be adequate to simulate actual pressures encountered in operation.

10 PSI, although clearly specified in the drawing, might be a tad too high in that it might actually make the seals seal better by pushing them harder against the shafts, thereby masking the possibility that they maybe actually not be quite tight enough fitting (worn out or hard), allowing some water to pass through under normal operating pressures.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
        I would have though a couple of PSI would be adequate to simulate actual pressures encountered in operation.

10 PSI, although clearly specified in the drawing, might be a tad too high in that it might actually make the seals seal better by pushing them harder against the shafts, thereby masking the possibility that they maybe actually not be quite tight enough fitting (worn out or hard), allowing some water to pass through under normal operating pressures.
        There's really nothing moving inside to make pressure (like a piston going up and down).

The PSI is just to make sure the unit is sealed tight and water will NOT intrude (or oil leak out). 10 PSI for such a short period is plenty to make sure the LU is water tight (which is the bottom line).

Scott

Comment

Such an easy, quick test as shown by Scott's post. Amazing the pages of posts over at THT on leaking lowers. Just a simple test, that's all.

Comment

I believe Yamahas have the seal lips toward the outside so the inside pressure would not help to push then against the shaft

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
              Such an easy, quick test as shown by Scott's post. Amazing the pages of posts over at THT on leaking lowers. Just a simple test, that's all.
              The LU oil DOES have to be removed for testing purposes...
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                The LU oil DOES have to be removed for testing purposes...
                Absolutely. Oil is about $10. No one has a right to complain either. "Oh I just had it changed at the dealer. I can't believe there is an issue"

I am not ragging on the OP. Just amazing that some on other sites make things so hard. Such as advice like this. "To find a leak, wait until nighttime. Get a flashlight with a purple lens. Lay down on back under lower unit with light and wait for a dribble. Could take awhile"

Or my favorite. "Go out and sniff your lower unit. Lower unit oil is stinky"
                Last edited by pstephens46; 12-15-2017, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X