Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post Impeller Change Observation (15hp 2 stroke)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been said before.
    Why, when the pump looks very similar or the same on many models are there variations on the bits used?
    Many people have water pump issues/confusion.
    Yamaha should have stuck to the one setup, other OB don't seem to be as problematic.

Comment

Glad it's fixed...

Saved a bunch and now you know the important stuff with the WP!

Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
        It has been said before.
        Why, when the pump looks very similar or the same on many models are there variations on the bits used?
        Many people have water pump issues/confusion.
        Yamaha should have stuck to the one setup, other OB don't seem to be as problematic.
        Yamaha never met a part it did not like to change. Gives the engineers something to do I suppose.

If three parts are needed to do a job then Yamaha will use five. Or more.

Is this the Yamaha way or is this Japanese way of doing stuff? I don't know.

Might be the Japanese way. I read that industry in Japan wanted to get some military/aerospace contract work but the quality of their data (see Yamaha as a prime example) is so poor that companies outside of Japan were not interested. People don't want to buy stuff if there is nil support to service it or maintain it.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Yamaha never met a part it did not like to change. Gives the engineers something to do I suppose.

If three parts are needed to do a job then Yamaha will use five. Or more.

Is this the Yamaha way or is this Japanese way of doing stuff? I don't know.

Might be the Japanese way. I read that industry in Japan wanted to get some military/aerospace contract work but the quality of their data (see Yamaha as a prime example) is so poor that companies outside of Japan were not interested. People don't want to buy stuff if there is nil support to service it or maintain it.
          You have to look at BMW motorcycle VS a Yamaha cycle. Want to talk about WAY OVER ENGINEERED???

One engine they make has a spin on oil filter (that needs a BMW tool to remove), that is Literally, UNDER/INSIDE a crankcase cover. You have to pull 6 bolts to remove the cover(and get soaked with oil), then spin off a CARTRIDGE. The worst of both worlds...

CCT on several engines. Hydraulically tensioned with oil pressure.. Problem is, when cranking, little to no oil pressure, cam chain jumps a tooth, major engine damage.

I do have to admit, Yamaha OB's are considerably more involved to maintain than their bikes. The bikes, mostly are bullet proof, beat the snot out of em, they keep running. OB's way more INVOLVED maintenance...

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
            You have to look at BMW motorcycle VS a Yamaha cycle. Want to talk about WAY OVER ENGINEERED???

One engine they make has a spin on oil filter (that needs a BMW tool to remove), that is Literally, UNDER/INSIDE a crankcase cover. You have to pull 6 bolts to remove the cover(and get soaked with oil), then spin off a CARTRIDGE. The worst of both worlds...

CCT on several engines. Hydraulically tensioned with oil pressure.. Problem is, when cranking, little to no oil pressure, cam chain jumps a tooth, major engine damage.

I do have to admit, Yamaha OB's are considerably more involved to maintain than their bikes. The bikes, mostly are bullet proof, beat the snot out of em, they keep running. OB's way more INVOLVED maintenance...

If Yamaha built cars...I would probably own one and I bet they would be of good quality and reliability.

No manufacturer is perfect, but some are way better then others.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
              If Yamaha built cars...I would probably own one and I bet they would be of good quality and reliability.

No manufacturer is perfect, but some are way better then others.
              Oh, I agree 100%..

My 07 Yamaha 600cc, is now 10 years old. Never seen the shop for a repair (I do my own work but NO mechanical failures in 25,000 miles), just basic maintenance. Change the oil once a year, keep the chain lubed and ride..

Scott

Comment

I once asked an engineer at the chemical plant I worked in why they are always changing stuff when the old stuff worked very well for many years.
                he said it is the job of engineers to find better ways of doing things.

Now is the different way they come up with better, or just different?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  I once asked an engineer at the chemical plant I worked in why they are always changing stuff when the old stuff worked very well for many years.
                  he said it is the job of engineers to find better ways of doing things.

Now is the different way they come up with better, or just different?
                  Mostly just different, not usually better.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                    Mostly just different, not usually better.
                    That worries me, employees are made to justify their existence by coming up with something different, no matter if it is better or not.

I must say Yamaha jet skis stand the test of time. They only seem troublesome when they are over maintained. Oil change every couple years, nothing else then fill with 70 litres fuel, rev all day 6000 to 8000 revs, use up all the fuel in no time then refill again!

Did Scott mention BMW bikes over engineered? Their boxer twins were built with the opposite philosophy, KISS.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                      Did Scott mention BMW bikes over engineered? Their boxer twins were built with the opposite philosophy, KISS.
                      The Boxers (opposed twin) are indeed the opposite end, very basic and not over engineered. Been around for a LONG TIME...

The newer ones now have water cooled HEADS.
                      Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X