2002 90 HP Yam 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 90 HP Yam 2 stroke

I have the above mentioned motor that won't start after sitting idle over the summer.
    Last time I had a 2 stroke motorcycle was back before Nixon. Not sure on the newer 2 strokes what will cause damage.

Got new fuel.
    I want to check for spark.
    If I pull all the plug wires to prevent spark, ground 2 of them and then check for spark on the third when I spin the motor, will that be OK?

John
    2002 KW 1720

Originally posted by Sheff 69 View Post
    I have the above mentioned motor that won't start after sitting idle over the summer.
    Last time I had a 2 stroke motorcycle was back before Nixon. Not sure on the newer 2 strokes what will cause damage.

Got new fuel.
    I want to check for spark.
    If I pull all the plug wires to prevent spark, ground 2 of them and then check for spark on the third when I spin the motor, will that be OK?

John
    That'll work fine but it's very likely NOT your issue.

Un-less you drained your carbs or used a good stabilizer, your carbs are clogged up with varnish:

2002 90TLRA Yamaha Outboard CARBURETOR Diagram and Parts

A spritz of PRE-MIX fuel down the intake (spray bottle) and see if it kicks will confirm the fueling issue.

If the carbs are full of fuel(remove drain plugs on the float bowls), will indicate the fuel pump is probably working properly..

With that said, (and if the above pans out), the float bowls need to come off and all jets cleaned...

It is possible your Prime start is an issue but the spritz of fuel would be "by-passing" if you would the PS...

Also, dumping and cleaning the fuel system, once the carbs are functioning, is mandatory or you get to do a "do over".

Here's a picture of a BADLY varnished up carburetor:
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-16-2017, 01:12 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Is your emergency cut- off tab in place? Did you pump the primer bulb?. Drain carb float chambers onto a clean white rag to look for water/dirt/debris, then pump primer bulb to re-fill the float chambers. Is your Primestart lever in the correct/automatic position?

Comment

Any updates, further information?
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-17-2017, 02:44 PM.
        Scott

Comment

Sorry, I don't work as fast as I used to.

I first checked the spark, since it was the easiest. Lots of spark.
          Then I started dismantling the fuel system at the engine.
          All of the carbs were clean, some minor particles but not much.
          But since I had started, I pulled them all off the engine and stripped them.
          Blew all the jets out with air and reassembled.
          Still no start.
          I then decided what the heck, I'll pull all the fuel system.
          I pumped out the tank, replaced everything including the fill dip tube in the fuel tank, the fuel hose to the water separator and the lines with the primer bulb to the carbs. Drained the carbs again. And new plugs.
          Still no start.
          Then I had a moment of intelligence, I hadn't drained the water separator/filter.
          Did that and it starts just fine.

I guess it was bad fuel from sitting over summer.

Oh well, at least I now know I don't have an aluminum tank!!

Thanks for all your help.
          Thanks guys.

John
          2002 KW 1720

Comment

Glad it's running!

In the future (you lucked out), simply blowing into the INSTALLED JETS don't cut it.

The orifices in the jets are super small and the jets need to be removed completely, inspected, cleaned, etc..

Scott

Comment

I apologize, I was being lazy, when I said I blew out the jets, yes I really did unscrew them and blow them out. I also used a bristle from a new paint brush and poked all the jets clear, including the ones machined into the carb body.

Today I just replaced the filter water/separator. The old one was installed inside the battery box - Jeeez!. I relocated the new one outside the box close to the transom.

Maybe now I can relax and go out fishing.

John
              2002 KW 1720

Comment

Originally posted by Sheff 69 View Post
                I apologize, I was being lazy, when I said I blew out the jets, yes I really did unscrew them and blow them out. I also used a bristle from a new paint brush and poked all the jets clear, including the ones machined into the carb body.

Today I just replaced the filter water/separator. The old one was installed inside the battery box - Jeeez!. I relocated the new one outside the box close to the transom.

Maybe now I can relax and go out fishing.

John
                Seems Key West and Sea Hunt locate pumps and filters in odd places. Difficult places at that. I guess they install all this plumbing and whatnot and then screw the cap onto the hull. Then you have to find Tatoo from Fantasy Island to crawl in and replace things.
                Last edited by pstephens46; 11-20-2017, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Tell me about it.
                  Every time I work on the boat I draw blood, and have to take Tylenol for a week to lighten the aches and pain. I guess I'm just not built for crawling into center consoles to fix wiring and plumbing.
                  2002 KW 1720

Comment

No problem John...

As you saw, those jets orifices are small..

My hull didn't come with a fuel filter. Never thought about putting it in the battery box (but it's tight in there anyway). Wouldn't be real thrilled about putting fuel parts next to the battery either..

Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X