Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spark Plug issue 200 HPDI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Spark Plug issue 200 HPDI

    Took out the plugs to put in the fogging plugs today and notice one of them was super clean - picture attached
    200 HPDI Motor 2 Stroke
    Any input why this is the case is appreciated.
    Do I need to worry
    thanks
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Originally posted by Britfish View Post
    Took out the plugs to put in the fogging plugs today and notice one of them was super clean - picture attached
    200 HPDI Motor 2 Stroke
    Any input why this is the case is appreciated.
    Do I need to worry
    thanks
    Water getting in the cylinder... steam cleaning the plug. Can you look down the plug hole and see if top of piston is super clean as well?

    Comment


    • #3
      Would it affect performance ?
      the thing runs great.
      Whatever it is its a next year job - wrapped for winter

      Comment


      • #4
        Might just be the lighting but the plug above the clean one looks much darker than the others also.
        Dennis
        Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't think I would be leaving my motor all winter if it has even the chance it has water in a cylinder! unwrap it and get it fixed, or be prepared for some surprises when you next use it.

          Comment


          • #6
            What kind of plugs original for this engine?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by panasonic View Post
              Water getting in the cylinder... steam cleaning the plug. Can you look down the plug hole and see if top of piston is super clean as well?
              At least make sure there's PLENTY OF OIL in that cylinder to prevent rusting over winter.

              Originally posted by amahaork View Post
              What kind of plugs original for this engine?
              NGK makes two ground plugs (come stock in my motorcycle). Never saw them in an outboard thou.

              For the OP, a LEAK DOWN TEST for that cylinder should help find the water leak. Likely either a bad head gasket or head..

              My $'s on the head gasket. Just sucking a little bit of water right now, it'll get worse with time...
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204 CC, 2006 F150 TXR

              Comment


              • #8
                Had the same thing happen to me.

                Number 6 in my 2 stroke had a scored cylinder wall and 70 lbs. of pressure compared to 108 in the others. The rings on that cylinder had stuck and welded over causing the cylinder wall to melt. $4000.00 rebuild. Check your compression before anything else. And make sure you use ringfree. Hope this helps.
                Joe

                Comment


                • #9
                  White plug.

                  By the way it still ran pretty good, these yamaha's are tough as nails.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yams are tough....but if there is an issue with water in a cylinder it will not get better with time.....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      2 strokes and piston rings.....lots of potential for RBS.

                      Pretty happy I done graduated.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                        2 strokes and piston rings.....lots of potential for RBS.

                        Pretty happy I done graduated.
                        OK here we are again,
                        What does RBS stand for

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Really Bad 'Ship' (sic).
                          Really Bad Stuff
                          Really Bad Shiiiiiiiii....
                          Last edited by oldmako69; 11-07-2017, 02:47 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                            OK here we are again,
                            What does RBS stand for
                            I wasn't even gonna ask, I have no idea either...
                            Scott
                            1997 Angler 204 CC, 2006 F150 TXR

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I thought "ships" were much larger than "boats"?
                              Scott
                              1997 Angler 204 CC, 2006 F150 TXR

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X