Oldmako question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldmako question

What kind/brand of 5606 trim fluid are you using?

THAT was a joke designed to roil the purists. I just used floor jack juice. I asked the guy at O'reilly what he had that was close to 5606. He looked it up on his machine (said he was looking at MSDS sheet) and said this was it.

My helm was noisy. When I pulled the plug I was unable to see fluid so I topped it off. I was pleased that it took so little fluid and even more so that it helped.

I mess around with an old Mercedes which has a hydraulic ram set-up for the rear suspension. Obviously, its got a reservoir and and a filter and the fluid gets filthy. The Benz forum I frequent has legendary arguments about what type of fluid to use. On one hand there are the purists who insist upon MB fluid only, even though its more expensive than many single malt scotches. On the other, guys who use whatever hydraulic fluid is on sale at tractor supply.

For a steering helm and ambient temps I can't imagine that it makes much difference. That being said, were I filling it from scratch, or doing a fluid replacement I'd spring for the real McCoy juice.

Current boat has electric lenco tabs, so no juice there. My old boat had a Hynautic steering set up and I used ATF in it. I rebuilt that helm once (PITA with tons of spring-loaded bits that shot all over the living room when I got it apart) and I used ATF when I refilled it. I figured that's what was already in the reservoir (and lines) so why change? That helm was smooth as butter and I never had an issue with it...well, aside from the rams fixed end ripping out of the boat when 35 miles out. Rube got it patched up and we got home OK. Funny enough, guy next slip over used pricey Hynautic fluid and his helm felt like hell. It took twice the effort to spin his wheel.

I also used AFT in my Bennet tab reservoirs.
    Last edited by oldmako69; 11-05-2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Phillip's 66.

6 bucks a quart.

PHILLIPS 66 X/C MIL-PRF-5606H HYDRAULIC FLUID from Aircraft Spruce

Comment

Phillip's 66.

6 bucks a quart.

aircraftspruce.com

Comment

Phillip's 66.

6 bucks a quart.

High rollers can pay 8 bucks a quart for Aeroshell.

Comment

Guessing tractor supply sells the various brands. I have flushed about a quart and a half through the steering and it still looks like coffee. $27 a quart for Seastar is absurd.

Comment

Oldmako - was that really your girlfriend?

Comment

It was. Fiancé now. Some guys never learn.

Comment

Well I don't reckon she spends much time at McDonald's eating fries and drinking Big Orange.....

If you don't exercise half as much as she, your ass is in trouble...
                  Last edited by pstephens46; 11-05-2017, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                    Old school oil can. Looks like one of the cans you had to hit with a opener to make two holes to pour it.

Comment

***. Looks like two of Boscoe's moderated posts made it back from the black hole. I tried to quote one and it slepped off to the underworld...

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                        ***. Looks like two of Boscoe's moderated posts made it back from the black hole. I tried to quote one and it slepped off to the underworld...
                        Proves there is life after death after all!!!!
                        Dennis
                        Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                          what threads were they in?

Comment

#3 and #4 went off into a black hole. They have now turned up after I posted #5.

Seems to be that my linking to other websites caused the fuss.

Comment

Working...
                            X