Dual key switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual key switches

I have two Yamaha dual key switches. One has prime start written on it and the keys do not push in and the other does not have prime start written on it but you can push key in I assume to activate the prime start function. One I believe was used on 4 strokes and one two strokes but I do not know which is which. Any help? Thanks

Prime Start is a Yamaha term for automatic fuel enrichment. Applies to almost any two stroke or four stroke model that does not use a choke plate and choke solenoid.

With Prime Start there is no reason to push the key is. Pushing the key in does nothing. I don't recall having heard of a key switch panel labeled as Prime Start but I learn something new every day. It would stand to reason that that panel is to be used on Prime Start models.

There are at least two types of key switch assemblies. That have a press-to-choke function and those that do not have a press-to-choke function. On some switch panels the switch may not have the press-to-choke function but right below the key there may be a button or a toggle switch that can be used to activate a choke. For those model motors that use a choke.

Comment

Would either one of these work the same or do the motors have to have certain features built into them? The motors I have now are 2001 250SXTURY 2 strokes.

Comment

Originally posted by oldcobia View Post
        Would either one of these work the same or do the motors have to have certain features built into them? The motors I have now are 2001 250SXTURY 2 strokes.
        A model SX250TURY is a two stroke fuel injected model. AKA an OX66 model. It uses Prime Start. No choke is involved. The motor is smart enough to know when it is cold and it will automatically feed itself a bit more gasoline for a cold start condition.

Either key switch panel will work. If the panel with the key switch having the press-to-choke function is used then simply nothing will happen if and when the key is pressed in.

Comment

Working...
        X