1998 150TLRW Hard Throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 150TLRW Hard Throttle

Throttle is sticky and hard to move through from idle to higher RPM and back.
    Cable is new, control is loose, etc. I remove the cable from the magneto control lever and throttle shafts are sticky. Is their an easy solution to this problem? Maybe lubricate the shafts from the outside? Motor runs perfect so I don't want to take carbs off if I don't have to.

I think I know the answer to this question but...any suggestions?

You can easily spray PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, etc (not WD40), a good penetrant, at the throttle shafts both outside and inside the carb bodies. (simply remove the air silencer).

If there's gunk build up outside, some brake cleaner wouldn't hurt...

You should see good results doing the above. Pulling the carbs would get them sideways(and easier access) but really isn't necessary. Use lots of lube, move the butterflys as you spray.

I've come across several engines(none marine) with frozen throttle shafts (small engines). I've ALWAYS been able to loosen them being patient, with lots of lube...

Just DON'T force anything or your opening a new can of worms...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-02-2017, 01:15 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks...I don't need to worry about that stuff getting down the throat? It'll just burn out?

Comment

You can a rag in the throat if you want.

Your not shooting in a quart. Just a little bit at a time, wipe out what runs down to the bottom.

Even better, trim the engine so when you spray, the excess fluid, by gravity, comes back out on it's own...

Shouldn't take much...

Should some get in there, it's oil, it'll burn off, no biggon.. You just don't to put a BUNCH down there and cause a hydraulic lock (which would not be good)
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X