Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F20 startup issue +video

So I'm back again with my 2013 F20 and the fuel issues
    (You helped in a previuos thread where I found the lose float in the carb)

Since then I have cleaned the carb once again, and now it won't stay running.
    I will try to attach this ~1 minute video of it.

Motor starts first pull, but cuts out about the time primer starts to close. I cannot save it running by touching the throttle, if I do it instantly dies.

But I can get the motor to run just fine, if I repeat the procedure in the video about 3-4 times, I get the motor warm enough that it accept a very light touch on the throttle. And once I can highten the revs a bit, I let it run there to fully warm, then everything is OK. I fished yesterday, took me 5 minutes to get it running, but then ran, stopped and started first pull.

I have cleaned the carb again, this time I have also checked the prime starter against workshop handbook specs for resistance and needle min/max. Within specs.

Why does the motor get starved from fuel after about about 30 seconds of running? It starts first pull again. Where should I go from here? Thanks in advance and apologies for my broken english on the video =)

https://youtu.be/rx9slJjH_i4
    Last edited by merc200dalarna; 11-01-2017, 06:58 PM.

can not get they clip to work.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
      can not get they clip to work.
      Perhaps you must allow "Adobe flash" close to the adress bar in your browser?
      It has a little folder symbol in my firefox browser to the left of the tinypic.com adress.

Comment

No one? Can you see the video? What is wrong with my outboard?

Comment

Well if it will run once warm, I would guess the primestart is still having issues. Not enough fuel when cold....

I could not get video to work either.

Comment

Perhaps you can let me know any video host in north america that works without having to become member?

Comment

Don't know about membership? YouTube?

Comment

OK! I uploaded it to youtube.

Comment

There should be a drain screw on the carb float bowl.

As soon as it stalls, pull the drain bolt and see if there's fuel in the carb.

Seems like it's running on just the fuel in the carb, then the carb runs dry-Possibly lack of fuel, failing fuel pump, air leak...

Will squeezing the primer bulb keep it running?
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Good point on the bowl.

Post the link to YouTube here....

Comment

There is a very small hole on the other side of the primestart needle. If it is not clear it will be a bear to get going and stay going when cold. Are you sure the primestart fuel circuit is clean?

But as already mentioned can you keep it going by pumping the fuel bulb? And I second checking for fuel in the carb bowl when it stalls.

Nice boat...and nice looking country in your other video.

Comment

Changed the link, got it....

Location should be mandatory. Often helpful.

What country are you located Merc200?
                        Last edited by pstephens46; 11-01-2017, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                          There should be a drain screw on the carb float bowl.

As soon as it stalls, pull the drain bolt and see if there's fuel in the carb.

Seems like it's running on just the fuel in the carb, then the carb runs dry-Possibly lack of fuel, failing fuel pump, air leak...

Will squeezing the primer bulb keep it running?
                          Will try tomorrow. First the bowl, then to keep pumping bulb.

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                          Good point on the bowl.

Post the link to YouTube here....
                          I edited the original link so it goes to youtube from my first post.
                          Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                          There is a very small hole on the other side of the primestart needle. If it is not clear it will be a bear to get going and stay going when cold. Are you sure the primestart fuel circuit is clean?

But as already mentioned can you keep it going by pumping the fuel bulb? And I second checking for fuel in the carb bowl when it stalls.

Nice boat...and nice looking country in your other video.
                          Not 100% sure, but I did spray carb cleaner straight down where the needle goes down, and in all other visible holes, I guess I'll go through them again. Thanks, yes, since I can't find the fish I videotape the scenery = )

Comment

Spraying carb cleaner down the holes doesn't mean it is going through the holes. I used compressed air and a blowgun with a rubber tip to blow out the passages. Sometimes a single strand of very small copper wire or such is needed to probe the holes.

If you look carefully in the carb throat, while spraying the carb cleaner down the primestart passage, you should be able to see the carb cleaner come out through a very small hole ahead of the butterfly.

Comment

It starts and idles so nice that I would be guessing it to be a fuel pump issue. Pump may not be functioning when cold but does when it gets warmed up a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X