Hey doc, weak pee stream but a lot out exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey doc, weak pee stream but a lot out exhaust

Noticed less flow out telltale but more out 2 exhaust holes. Figured stuck poppet. Replaced with new style (yes, X in spring)
    No difference.

Other thing I notice is the other motor pees for 45sec after shutoff (normal, right?) but this ones doesn't at all.

(water pump is fresh)

holes where there should not be any would be my guess

Comment

What motor? I can't remember.....
      My motor stops peeing the instant the key flips to off.....

Comment

88 200

All of mine that I've had peed for a while after shutting off.

I figure it is the poppet that keeps the water in there if it is closed. When it relieves it sends water out the exhaust.

I wonder if the spring is tired. I only replaced the plastic piece.
        Last edited by BQUICK; 10-31-2017, 10:24 PM.

Comment

trying to remember back, did you not have a motor that you had a hole corroded letting not enough water to get to one side of block that you rigged up a bypass on the stat covers or was that someone else I am thinking of?

Comment

Yeah, that is me but this is another motor. But....I wonder if same issue. This one runs cool though on both heads so I'm thinking not.

When under way and a poppet opens the relief water comes out the two exhaust holes, correct? I guess I could test that by removing poppet for a test....on the other motor.
            Last edited by BQUICK; 11-01-2017, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Common sense is when running, there's water in the power head.

Turn the engine off, ALL THAT WATER HAS TO DRAIN.

As I re-call, I get a little water out the tell tail once off, the rest must drain
              inside..
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by BQUICK View Post
                Yeah, that is me but this is another motor. But....I wonder if same issue. This one runs cool though on both heads so I'm thinking not.

When under way and a poppet opens the relief water comes out the two exhaust holes, correct? I guess I could test that by removing poppet for a test....on the other motor.
                If you remove that poppet valve to test, you very likely won't be able to keep enough water in your engine(IE over heat pretty darn quick)..

It doesn't move much to bleed off excess water pressure, removing it, you NOW have a big hole in the cooling system...
                Scott

Comment

Ok, gotcha.
                  I think I'll replace the poppet spring and see what happens.

Comment

I believe you are speaking about the idle relief holes, so no on water coming out of them when PRV opens.
                    should just dump to the exhaust out the prop

Comment

So why does one motor (one with weak peeing) have a lot out of there whereas the other little?

Comment

Perhaps some debris in there??
                        Scott

Comment

So why does one motor (one with weak peeing) have a lot out of there whereas the other little?

Are the holes you speak of the idle relief ports?
                          and is this under way or at idle?

Comment

yes (top of exhaust housing), and yes all the time

Comment

It is my understanding that those holes are to relive the exhaust back pressure while the motor is idling and boat not moving.
                              what I have witnessed was a spray of water coming out of the with the exhaust while idling.
                              once under way and motor RPMs come up the exhaust and dumped cooling water should come out of the prop hub

Comment

Working...
                              X