No announcement yet.

Hey doc, weak pee stream but a lot out exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only time I have seen water out of those idle relief holes is at high rpm. Are you sure the PRV is not stuck open?

Comment

Yeah, like I said I will try a new spring and see what happens. The other motor is peeing hard but little or nothing out the relief holes.

Comment

Originally posted by BQUICK View Post
        Yeah, like I said I will try a new spring and see what happens. The other motor is peeing hard but little or nothing out the relief holes.
        Get a new spring, valve and grommet if it has one. Some of those have been redesigned. Moved from an X to a mushroom. Not sure if this is the case with yours. Corrosion under grommet can distort the "hole".

Comment

Per RB, the old style valve will last forever. The new ones won't. I have a brand new "new style" in my parts bin...

I'd suggest a thin coating of waterproof grease on the block UNDER where the grommit goes on, helps keep water from collecting..
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

from what I all have seen in the past, if the PRV sticks open it dumps too much water out to the exhaust( not the idle relief per say) and will not allow the block to fill up with cooling water during low RPM causing it to overheat.
            you are not having a problem with overheating at low RPMs so I am not sure that is your problem.

weak TT might be a restriction heading to the TT.
            with your luck on these motors and corrosion, who know for sure what is going on inside

Comment

I don't know either. Just keep checking systems until you find it.

Some of you probably remember the HPDI motors that were posted on here with "steam and bubbles in the water". Steam coming out of idle relief port. One motor was a Z200 and the other a Z300. The guy with the 200 never could seem to get the boat out of water to inspect. I was able to get in touch with the other guy, named Edselectric (THT), to see if he found a solution. He claimed it was a stuck PRV and problem was solved after replacement. Who knows? I thought it was some HPDI mystery that would never be solved.

Comment

Originally posted by BQUICK View Post
                You didn't put the X shaped plug in backwards, did you?

Comment

I don't think so.....I put X toward spring and mushroom head toward rubber seal.

Comment

Just replaced spring and grommet as well as new valve.

Pee stream is even weaker now and a ton of water coming out the exhaust.

I don't get it....

Comment

with all of the motors you have laying around that you took apart, yo might be able to look to see where a hole could corrode thru and dump out the relief ports.

None of the Yamaha's I have looked at while idling had much if any water wise coming out of relief port while idling. Now Johney ruds had lots of water out of there
                      you must have a hole letting water out to the relief ports and/or something plugged up
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 11-03-2017, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Different engine (my F150, still on the lift but in the water). There's NO water
                        coming out the mid-section, just the exhaust once in gear and some RPM's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134...6/35586610891/

As 99 posted, I suspect there may be another leak elsewhere

This is mine out of the water, on muffs:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134...6/34909194323/

Scott

Comment

The hole is clearly visible but I can't tell if it's to the main BLOCK itself (appears to be-not good). Very likely the water jacket itself.

If that section un-bolts from the block, obviously you can replace the part.

If not, JB weld on a clean surface (as noted) should work... That or have
                          a small piece of aluminum welded back in there.. That hole WILL be bigger
                          once you start cleaning away corroded aluminum..

I'd disconnect all nearby wiring connectors nearby and rinsing the area (and wires) with Salt Away, then water. Blow dry, di-electric grease in the connectors.

Once the repair is done, spray the power head with LPS (or other protectorant).

As you have nothing to loose with the starter itself, I'd soak it in a solution of Salt Away and pull it apart. The "no spin" issue are mostly the bearings seized up. Once apart, a good cleaning, oiling, etc will likely bring it to life.
                          It's been seized only for a short period of time, not like years of rust setting in..

Lastly, do you flush the engine after salt water use and have you checked the
                          anodes accessible from the exterior of the engine for wear?

Looks like the block itself:

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-28-2017, 08:33 AM.
                          Scott

Comment

Working...
                          X